AB7007-C troubleshooting for case:201910-88

@anongfpquean
Hello Yevgeniy,

I am reaching out to you via a new topic on our HMS support forum regarding your support case in mysupport.hms.se. You sent an email in saying you were unable to access the ticket. This error will happen if you follow the link but are not logged into the portal. Once you are logged in you should be able to access the case. The following is my response to your inquiry.

This issue might be difficult to diagnose though just text. I would recommend giving our support like a call 312-893-5636.

Can you share the configuration you are using? When you take a log do you see any data from the Oaisis device? Can you also share your log?

We do not use the CTS and DSR pins for RS232. The serial protocol used is set in the subnetwork section of the configuration.

Hello Deryck,

Thank you for your email.

Actually, you apparently are using CTS and DSR pins at AB7007-C (Anybus Communicator), also known as “hardware flow control”.

It is confirmed that OASIS software did initialize pins 6 and 8 as low during port open.

Once I made new RS232 serial cable with DB9 connectors having just 3 pins in a cable, RXD, TXD and GND(5) (essentially disconnecting pins 6 and 8 from OASIS PC to AB7007-C) – then AB7007-C started receiving serial data from OASIS by RS-232.

Final solution was – OASIS software rebuild initializing pins 6 and 8 as “high”. It made AB7007-C happy and we could use “off the shelf” regular RS232 cable.

My other findings – I did not see anything transferred to EtherNet/IP side until I enabled “trigger byte”, which supposed to be just a counter, correct? And then once this byte started incrementing with every new data coming – I started to see data in previous byte as well.

Can you please confirm our findings?

I attached our configuration, it says “physical standard – RS232” for a subnetwork.

Thank you for your help,

Yevgeniy

Hi Yengeniy,

I think you might be misunderstanding how the consume and produce transactions work. I recommend reading chapter 13 of the user guide for a comprehensive explanation. I will try to simplify the process here with a quick example.

A consume transaction is looking for a set of bytes streaming in on the Serial Rx line and looking for it to match the objects configured. This is done by pulling in data in as a message based on the timeing and other set delimiters then comparing the data to the consume transactions. For example if the serial device sent out the ascii characters “temp:23.5” and you just want to grab the “23.5” characters you could create a consume transaction with constant objects for “temp:” then a data object for 4 bytes in location 0 for 4 bytes. When the Communicator sees “temp:23.5” the “temp:” match the constant then write the “23.5” to the communicators memory at byte location 0-3. This data can then be requested from the Fieldbus side.

Can you share the configuration you are using? Can you also share a log of the serial data? So i can get a better understanding of your your device is sending messages.

The trigger byte works by increment every time that consume transaction consumes data.

Deryck

Hello Deryck,

Thank you a lot for providing feedback.

I cannot share logs of incoming serial since I’m on a different project already, that project was closed last Friday.

I have Anybus Communicator configurations though, please see it attached.

“Try3” – doesn’t work (I saw that data was received in Consume object, visible in logs – not transferred to EtherNet/IP side).

“Config_works” – then it started working. The only change should be in “trigger byte”.

Can you please also comment on pins 6 and 8 I described in my previous email? This is what was giving us most problems, I couldn’t figure out why AB7007-C was using “hardware flow control” by default with no ability to change it.

Thank you,

Yevgeniy Stanchits

cid:image001.png@01D51179.744E2110

3805 Faraday Avenue Davis, CA 95618

O: 530.746.7400 ext. 1275

E: ystanchits@dmgmori-usa.com

URL:
http://us.dmgmori.com

“This e-mail transmission is intended only for the use of the person or persons to whom it is addressed. It may contain information that is confidential, privileged, or otherwise exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender by return e-mail and then delete it immediately.”

ToSend.rename2zip (1.22 KB)

Thanks for the configuration. With out a log there is only so much I can suggest, but this does show that you are only consuming 1 byte for each message. What might be a better option would be to remove the byte object then add a large variable data object. The following config is based off of your “config_works” configuration so will have the same trigger and timing setup. rather then your single byte it will consume a full message up to 50 bytes. Keep in mind this is relying on the timing to know when a message is complete. HMS_config.cfg (16.0 KB)

Deryck