AB7010-B Communicator - Can't ACM Connect

Hi,

I am currently trying to set-up five Anybus Communicator units (Modbus-RTU Slave version). But all five modules show exactly the same behaviour, LED’s 1…4 are off, LED 5 is solid red, LED 6 flashes Green/Red.

We are a bit short on PC’s with a D-SUB9 comport but luckely the servers for the project have one so I am running the Anybus Configuration Manager on windows 2019 Server - this is going without a problem, I get no error messages or anything.

When I connect to the Unit with the supplied cable however and click on “connect” I get presented with a message " no module was found, retry?". - during this process none of the LED’s change state.

This behaviour is the same for all units; I have tried three of the cables that came with the units, and I am running out of options. I also, after finding a post on this forum, tried the feature to factory restore. But this process terminates with the message “could not download to communicator”

I am running completely out of options… have you got any suggestions?

Serial No. of two if the units:
0002FD9D
0003024F

Hello,

The LED’s you describe sounds like the device are new without a configuration.
To confirm you are using the serial programming cable that came with the device and are connecting to the RJ11 programming port on the bottom of the unit? Are you sure you are setting the correct COM port on the PC is being used? Do you see multiple options under tools > port?

You can use a USB to serial connector, this is the most common way we see the device programmed. We offer one with order code 019570-B.

Many thanks for your reply Deryck, I have asked around and got my hands on a USB to serial cable and using my windows 10 laptop I got comms going at the very first attempt! I do wonder why my servers with their comm port refused to connect but alas, I can progres now.

1 Like