AB7010 Configuration

Hello Kyle,

I have two question that maybe you could help me out. The first one is the RS485 electric connection. At this point I’m not
sure about my connection. I’m connecting pin3 (green wire) of the sensor with pin 8 of the gateway, also I’m connecting pin 4 (yellow wire) of the sensor with pin 9 of the gateway. My doubt now is related with the signal ground of the gateway and the shield.

Sensor Connection:

Anybus Connection:

Also, checking the RS485 typical connection in your manual I found that there is a resistor (470R) between +5v and RS485+.

Could you clarify this connection for me?

Then other question that I have is related with the protocol. I change the subnetwork protocol from RS485 to RS232 and I connected a rs232 to usb converter
in the connector at the bottom of the Anybus. What I was trying to do was check to see the command from the Anybus with a serial monitor soft. However, I couldn’t see any activity of the port.

PLC(schneider) ----> Modbus RTU ---->
Anybus (Gateway) ---->RS232 ----> (Converter) ----> USB ---->
Laptop

Is this ok? Should I see the command going out of the gateway?

Thank you in advance.

image009.png

image012.png

Hey Matt,

How long is your cable?

Hi Kyle, the cable is 15 meters long.

image001.png

image002.png

With a cable that long, you should add the resistors shown in the diagram. In fact, have you tried a shorter cable?

I’m not sure why you aren’t seeing traffic using the USB to RS232 converter. What program are you using.

Hello Kyle,

I tried with the resistor but only in the Anybus side at the sensor side I have a M12 connector (I can not open it) .I will see if
I can get one M12 connector with terminals.

About the RS232 converter I’m using Eltima Serial port monitor.

image001.png

image002.png

Try power cycling the gateway after you have it connected. It may be timing out before you plug it in.

Kyle, it seems the gateway is not transmitting the command to the sensor I did the following test with any response from the sensor (or laptop)

• I configured the gateway as RS485 and I connected the sensor but I don’t have any response from the sensor

• I configured the gateway as RS232 and I connected my laptop through a rs232 to usb cable and I couldn’t see any activity ( the command from
    the PLC)

• With the gateway configured as RS232, I connected a RS232 to RS485 converter with the sensor connected to it and I couldn’t see any activity
    (Tx and Rx).This converter has 2 LED to see the transmission and reception.

The log of the Anybus shows that there is transmission but no reception but I couldn’t see this when I connect my laptop.

Cold be the port? Is there something in the configuration?

Regards,

image002.png

image002.png

Have you been able to get a response from the sensor when it’s connected to your laptop and you send the command?

I guess it’s possible, but not probable.

I would first confirm that you can get a response from the node with a simulator on the laptop, and then replicate how you are sending that command on the Anybus.

Hello Kyle,

Good news. I made it work. I changed ‘’data’’ in produce and consume for ‘’Variable data object’’. Please, See the pictures
below. Thank you so much for your support and patience!

Again thank you so much for you support.

Best regards!

image009.png

image012.png

Great! Thank goodness, I was running out of ideas on this one! Interesting that that’s what made the difference.