AB7072 won't communicate consistently to PLC-5

I have an AB7072 that won’t communicate with my PLC-5 consistently. Sometimes it will work for a few hours, then it needs rebooted to work again. Currently I can reboot it and get up to date data (I’m reading a part count from an integer file so it’s counting up every couple seconds) but after the initial reboot the number stops going up. So it’s like it reads the integer properly on reboot and then never again.

Config file attached.

If you’d like to remote in tomorrow works best for me, I’ll just need a little bit of advanced notice to get onsite and connected to the AB7072.

This unit has been installed for several months but has never worked for more than maybe a week at a time before the data stops updating again. I have an HMI reading the data via Modbus TCP but I know the HMI isn’t the issue because I’ve used Modscan to read the registers from the Anybus and the numbers stay the same. If I reboot the part count updates but then stays the same again.

Customer has a local HMI on the PLC-5 that shows the part count, so I know it’s counting up consistently / doesn’t match what’s on my HMI / the Anybus.DV2 10kA Tester 120519.cfg (16.0 KB)

The first time I tried to upload the config file from the unit it said the config was incomplete or corrupt. So I re-downloaded the one I had on file. Since then I’ve been able to upload successfully after the numbers freeze, so not sure what that was about.

Tom,

You have the gateway configured with a poll rate of 100 ms, a timeout of 3 sec, and only 3 retries. So if there is any interruption in the connection of 12 seconds or more, it will disconnect the node. Try adjusting those numbers for better results:

Kyle

I’m reading like 100 bytes of data over a 15 foot RS-232 cable at 19200 baud, so I’m not sure how it could possibly take 12 seconds or more with that kind of transfer?

I’ll go back to the customer tomorrow morning and change it and see if that helps.

If communication is temporarily interrupted for any reason, it’s going to going to drop the node, so I would increase the retries at least. Do you know the status of the LEDs when this thing locks up?

Keep in mind, we are having company wide meetings tomorrow so support will be limited. We may not be able to do the Teamviewer, so any logs or other info you can get will be helpful.

Topic closed due to inactivity.