AB7311 HMS AnyBus CAN to EtherCAT Configuration for ZEUS CAN Protocol

The client used Software plus USB to CAN converter to send command and got reply from the Can device.
Please see the attach pic for the USB-CAN result:

When testing with AB7311, they used 401 the Frame ID to send to can device.
CAN device reply frame Id 1 but with no data.
Please see the attach pic for the AB7300 result:

Feedback from Customer:
They had tried sending Data frame and Remote frame to CAN device, but the CAN device relied with no data.

Do you have sample on configure AB7311 on:

1. How to send/receive Remote frame
  2. How to configure send/receive multiple Frame

Thank you
Alvin
Alvin

2AnyBus live Data.zip (83.1 KB)

Hello @aka,

Just to confirm you are using an AB7311 and not a ab7300?

We have this application note that sends and receives data to a movelink device.
While it is a bit specific for the move link the concepts should be the same, step 6 explains produce and consume messages. https://cdn.hms-networks.com/docs/librariesprovider7/default-document-library/application-notes/hms-scm-1300-010.zip?sfvrsn=42fea9d6_6

Looking at the line listener screen shot it seems like the slave device is just not responding with any data. If you use your USB to CAN to monitor the bus do you see any data that the communicator could be rejecting? What do your produce/consume or query/response transactions look like?

Deryck

Hi Deryck

The C;ient is using AB7311.
When using a low cost USD – CAN adaptor to communicate with ZEUS, Client is able to initialise it and get respond from it after initialisation.

When he use Anybuy to link up. He is able to do the initialisation using the same quote he used with the USB – CAN adaptor. However, he is not able to get the respond from the device after it get INITIALISED. Hence, the code to the Hamilton ZEUS is correct.

Alvin

Hi Deryck

The client had did some testing onAB7311,AnyBus Data.zip (95.8 KB)

Case 1:

1. PLC send Data Frame to CAN Device is able to monitor form PLC via AnyBus as the Transmit counter will increase. (RTR-bit set to 0)
  2. CAN Device feedback Remote Frame to AnyBus if Data Frame sent is correct (RTR-bit feedback as 1). But PLC cannot get the feedback from Remote Frame as the Receive Counter as well as Transaction Counter did not increase. This mean the PLC unable get Remote Frame feedback from CAN Device.
    Case 2:
  3. PLC send Remote Frame to CAN Device is able to monitor form PLC via AnyBus as the Transmit counter will increase. (RTR-bit set to 1)
  4. CAN Device feedback Data Frame to AnyBus if Remote Frame sent is correct (RTR-bit feedback as 0). But AnyBus cannot get feedback from CAN Device and the RTR-Bit that set to 1 was return as 0 is AnyBus.

So seem the RTR-bit is not working properly and only one way to send Remote frame. AnyBus seem like cannot handle Remote Frame in this case.

Alvin

Hi,

Can you set up the USB to CAN device to also be connected to the bus to verify the frames when the Communicator is sending and receiving them. I would be interested in seeing what the message from the communicator looks like compared to the usb device sending them. This should also verify that the ZEUS is responding back with the same message when either device sends data. With what we see in the line listener it seems like the ZEUS device is not responding with any data in the frame.

Deryck

Hi Deryck

Below is client replied:
The zip files contains data Tx & Rx via ​USB to CAN ​.
Customer had already confirmed that data is Transmitting & Receiving to/from Zeus device using the ​USB to CAN.
USB to CAN (Correct way in CAN protocol).zip (144.8 KB)
Thank you
Alvin

Hi Deryck,

Can you verify the attach picture which I had drew base on your last replied.
Am I got the correct understanding from you?

Thank you
Alvin

Hello @aka,

This doesn’t look exactly like what I was looking for. Looking at the CAN line listener you sent previously we can see we are receiving messages since we see the can ID and other info but the data is empty. This would tell me that the Zeus is not sending data. You need to verify it is actually sending data.
What I was hoping to see is the PC monitoring the traffic on the bus without sending any messages itself. Then from the CAN communicator you would send the necessary CAN frame. You want to be able to compare the log in the communicator with the log in the USBCAN software. I would expect the USBCAN log to show receiving the CAN frame such as ID 401 sent by the communicator then see a receive message from the Zeus node.

Hi Deryck

I had done the final test at client site.
Below is the test result:
The AB7300 to send data when receive an RTR request from the Zeus device is no problem (From ABC-CAN to Zeus device) but to send data with the RTR bit set is unfortunately not working as it should (retreive data from the Zeus device).
Unfortunately there does not seem to be without updating the firmware so that it can send Remote Frame from the application.
Currently no plan for firmware yet.

Thank you for your help Deryck.

Alvin

Hi,

Are you saying a firmware update is required bu the Zeus device or for the ab7300?

Deryck

Hi Deryck

Typo error again is AB7311.
AB7311 has a Bug in sending Remote Frame from the application.
There is no planned fixes for this currently.
And this bug was reported back in 2013.

Alvin

Hello Alvin, we are experiencing the same issue to comunicate with a Zeus device. Have you found some way to solve this Remote Frame problem?
Thanks for any information you can share.
Alvaro