AB7640-F Can't change the IP address

Hello,
I have 2 X-gateway AB7640-F where the IP address has been configured some years ago. The customer needs to change the IP address to match the new network, but it seems not possible. Note that I know the procedure to do this task, I did it to other customer when needed.

I tried as follow:

1. using your software tool IP config (latest version) : can’t find the devices, even conneted directy to it (on both devices same problem)

2. using the web interface of the device: I can enter the new IP, but after restart the IP returns like before .

3. I can configure the device uploading the configuration via USB, but this doesn’t help with the IP address (not possible to change it via configuration manager).

4. the dip-switches on the devices are configured for ‘IP from IPconfig’ and that’s ok.

5. Apart of this problem, the devices seem to work correctly (not defective)

Attached some images from the web page and the config software.
I am thinking about a firmare problem.

Any advice is welcome.

Good morning,

Could you try to use the HMS IP Configuration tool? You can find it here.

Best regards,
Mert

Hi Mert,
thanks for your answer.
I already tried more times with IPconfig 4.2.0, but without success. It doesn’t recognize the gateways (both gateways==same problem), even connected directly to them.

It looks like, for some reasons, the IP address is locked.
I still think it a firmware issue, but new firmwares are not available on the device page documentation and software.

B.R.
Davide

Hi DavideV,

Yes, sorry. I thought you tried another software.

Could you please try to connect the gateway in a following topology and try again with IPConfig; Gateway → Any Ethernet switch → PC

Best regards,
Mert

Hi Mert,
your suggestion is what I’m actually doing and doesn’t work.
I found your doc HMSI-27-251 Rev: 2.10 so I went a bit deeper:
Tried the arp method to change the IP: doesn’t work.
I am able to connect to the gateway via Telnet and open the ethcfg.cfg file used by the module at startup. (txt attached, so you can have a look into). Is there a way to upload an edited ethcfg.cgf file to the module? Sorry but I’m not an expert using telnet.
Thank you

xgateway.txt (1.6 KB)

Hello DavideV,

You can send it via FTP. Please see the Chapter 7 on the manual.

Best regards,
Mert

Hi Mert,
Got it!
I don’t know what’s wrong with these 2 modules, but manually updating the ethcfg.cfg via FTP solved the problem: IP address changed!

• Still the IPconfig software doesn’t recognize the modules
  • Still changing the IP from the device’s web interface doesn’t apply (after reboot it keep the old IP address)
    That’s weird!

Thank you very much for your support.

Best regards
Davide

Hi DavideV,

Indeed, it is strange, I am happy that you could change but shouldn’t have been with FTP or telnet. I would like to know your windows version. Could you run “winver” on the “Run” and paste a screenshot?

Best regards,
Mert

Hello,
attached win version.

B.R.

Cattura

Hello DavideV,

For further investigation about this case, I can suggest to open a case on https://mysupport.hms.se and we can escalate this to Anybus HQ.

Best regards,
Mert

1 Like