AB7670 - Bridging capability and swapping port configurations

1. The front face of the gateway has the EtherNet/IP LEDs at the top and the Profinet LEDs at the bottom. Does this imply that the top ethernet port is EtherNet/IP?
  2. Can I swap the protocol of the top/bottom ports Ethernet/IP <> Profinet or is the protocol fixed to a port? My electricians mixed up the ethernet cable terminations.
  3. My designer did not pick a big enough switch so I cannot plug all my devices and both ports of the gateway into it. This mean that my EtherNet/IP device will be isolated from my engineering station. Is there anyway for the gateway to at as a ethernet bridge so I can ping the EtherNet/IP device from the Profinet side of the network. This would allow me to engineer without having to physically jump between networks.
  4. Does it matter which port I use the IPconfig tool on to set the IP address. Can either port be used to config the gateway? In my case its a Siemens system so I’m mainly on the Profinet side of things with my engineering station.
    Cheers,
    Rod
  1. Yes, the top ports are reserved for the Ethernet/IP

2. No it is not possible to swap the protocols. These protocol locations are fixed by hardware and software of the unit.

3. So this unit can’t act as a bidge. You can connect both interfaces to the same switch, and have both protocols communicate on the same network. We strongly discourage you from doing this. As it can cause problems with communication. If you are exclusively on the Profinet side, you will not be able to ping anything on the Ethernet/IP side.

4. You would need to use HMS IPConfig on both interfaces to set their respective IP’s.