AB9007 goes into Shutdown on profinet network but remains in RUN on modbus network

Hi
I have 5 installations using the AB9007 profinet IO to Modbus Gateway.I have a generic configuration for all 5 installation.Occasionally the plc people call me and say they “Can’t see the gateway on the profinet network.”.I can connect to it remotely on the modbus TCP side and access the configuration page.

I can see the transactions between my modbus device and the gateway .However on the gateway the MS light is red in colour and on the home page the Profinet IO network shows “SHUTDOWN”. I can not say for a fact if the red light is solid red ON or flashing a code.
Currently i reboot the gateway remotely from the x gateway management page.
What has come to my attention is that this problem is usually after the plant has lost power.Although my panel and the gateway are on a UPS.
On reading the manual , i came across a feature of profinet called control / status word which is available on the gateway.I would like to implement this so that the plc can toggle the control word bit 1 and reboot the gateway after a power loss or load shedding .
I have not mapped the control / status word in my configuration .It is disabled. Can it be toggled acyclicaly ? Or does it have to be mapped to access this feature. ? My understanding is that the plc can toggle this bit even with the my current configuration of “control / status word”=DISABLED. Please guide and advise.

You need to either enable or disable the Control/Status word prior to configuration and running. You cannot toggle it between enabled/disabled while running, if that is what you are asking. You can read all about the function of the Control Status word here in the User Manual.

If the Control / Status word is enabled, you will be able to start / stop the MB TCP network and reset the gateway from the Profinet controller.

No, the Control / Status word must be enabled.

Are you able to enabled the Control / Status word and then remap the IO data that was occupying registers 0 and 1?

Hi Kyle

If I enable Control/Status word in the configuration , I can write to control register bit zero to stop and start the modbus network. That works ,but I can not reboot gateway. I force a zero and then a one to bit 1 so I get a transition from 0 to 1 . Must the gateway profinet network be in Shutdown mode for this reboot function to work.? Or should it work regardless of the gateway state? I managed to get the gateway to go into error condition and then tried toggling bit 1 , it still does not reboot . Is there an easy way to get the gateway to Shutdown in the office? I tried many ways to get it to Shutdown but it keeps working reliably. I don’t want to experiment on site.

Kind regards

Zoonaid

image010.jpg

image011.jpg

Bit 7 is used to reset the gateway, see User Manual Section 2.4.

No.

Hi Kyle

I don’t find that information in my manual for the AB9007. I get this information .

This manual say bit 1 of control word. I tried it but I can not get gateway to reset.

Not this

image006.pngThis one says bit 7 . I will try this.

Which is the correct one.

~WRD000.jpg

image010.jpg

image003.jpg

image011.jpg

I"m sorry about that. You are correct. I was looking at the Generic X-Gateway manual, but for the AB900X series it should be bit 1.

Do you have a good I/O connection to the device? I’m not sure this will work in the use case you described because the device is in shutdown.

Hi Kyle

I can get to reset using Profinet Master.

If gateway is in Shutdown mode then it is not accessible on the profinet network. Therefore,

It is not possible to use the toggle function to reboot the gateway.

I can reboot gateway from the modbus using the web interface. Are any modbus registers available on the gateway? If they are available , I could write to the specific register from my HMI and that would allow the technician on site to reboot the gateway if it is in Shutdown mode easily without even having to open the panel.

image010.jpg

image011.jpg

I don’t think there is anyway to do this using Modbus commands, but potentially HTTP, as you can reboot the gateway from the web interface. I will see if there’s a way to do it.

What setting do you have for Action in case of irrecoverable error?

Hi Kyle

It is Restart in case of irrecoverable error. The gateway does not reboot when in shutdown .

image004.png

~WRD000.jpg

image010.jpg

image011.jpg

I can’t find a way to reboot it from the Modbus side. You may need to focus on keeping it from going into shutdown.

Hi Kyle

Under what conditions would the gateway go into Shutdown mode? The profinet network is not in my control. I only supply my controller which is a modbus device and I supply a gateway connected to my controller. The modbus side is stable and stays in RUN mode even when the gateway goes into Shutdown.

Thanks

Zoonaid

image010.jpg

image011.jpg

I was just made aware that you have an open case that has already been escalated to the Anybus team in the EU. I am going to close this thread at this point and you can proceed through that channel as I was going to refer it to that team myself. I will update the thread when we have a solution.

Thank you.

Kyle

Also, since we have determined this is a problem on the Profinet network, the team will probably need a packet capture from that network to determine the cause. If you haven’t got one yet, I would encourage you to get one as soon as possible.