ABCC M40 Self Test/Diagnostic for Production Verification

I have a project using the Compactcom M40 (Eth IP right now, but other protocols are expected) and am looking for a way to verify within my host application that the module is fully functional and configured as desired. If possible we want to avoid using another Eth IP device (or other network in the future) to verify this.

Does there exist any sort of self test ability in the module that can do what I’m asking? Can ports 1 & 2 be connected to each other for a functionality test?

The reason for our concern came when we installed a module and the alignment was a little off or something and one of the pins on the Compact Flash connector was pushed and did not insert into the module. In this case we noticed it and I don’t recall it being a necessary pin but in the event it was something significant, would it be caught without connecting to an Eth IP network.

Hi @kevinpenn92,

Can you elaborate on what exactly you would want to be checking? Are you looking to ensure the settings are setup in the sense of how your host application is setting up the device? Or that your host application is written to the protocol spec?

The module is designed with Modual Connect pins (MD1 & MD2) are located on opposite ends of the connector to ensure that the module is will be fully seated.

Hi Deryck

I suppose it would be a wide range of possible areas to check. I would like to know that the module is working in the overall sense that if I connect it to another Eth IP device it will work as expected. I suspect this can only be verified by connecting to another device

I would like to know that the host application didn’t have any issue configuring the module. I know this can be verified along the configuration process by function return values, etc.

What I’m curious about is if HMS has built in any sort of self-test/diagnostic functions or otherwise that I can call from the Host app to determine that the module is working as expected and configured properly. Does anything like that exist?

You might be looking for ODVA conformance testing.https://www.odva.org/Technology-Standards/Conformance These tests are designed to ensure a device meets the specifications required to be an odva approved device.

The compactcom does have some error checking and diagnostics built. You can check the module status register and the LED status register to see what state the module is in.

Deryck

Topic closed due to inactivity.