Another issue with the Flexy

Kyle,

Hate to bother you again, but we are having trouble getting a reliable WiFi connection to the Ewon. The signal strength seems good, and standing next to the Flexy I can connect my laptop to the same access point and get good results running
speed-test. The Flexy connects, but when I try to do anything like FTP or VNC it is unresponsive and the connection keeps dropping out. It is completely unusable. Any suggestions?

Thank You

Wayne Ryan

Hi Wayne,

I’m sorry you’re having more issues. I think the first step would be to make a backup of the device using eBuddy and checking the box “Include Support files” so that I can take a look at the logs and settings to see if there is any indication of the problem.

Also, what type of wireless system is it (Brand, Model, etc.)? Is there a wireless controller and multiple APs or just one?

Are you using the WiFi antenna that came with the unit? Is the antenna in a box or blocked by any objects? Any sources of interference close by?

Kyle

Kyle,
Sorry it took me so long to respond. We had some rather urgent stuff to finish up so I used a work around. I connected a cheap IOGEAR ethernet->WiFi adapter to the WAN port of the flexy. The adapter connected to our AP fine so the ewon
just treated it like a hard line connection. I don’t think the problem has anything to do with signal strength. The flexy is showing full bars. I’ve tried connecting several other WiFi type devices at the same location and the Flexy is the only device having
trouble maintaining connection.
NOTE: I had to upgrade the firmware of the IOGEAR device and select WPA2-personal. The WPA option did not work at all. I do not see a WPA-2 option on the flexy.
I’ve put the Flexy back in the previous configuration and used e-buddy to take a backup with support files. The backup is attached. I’m not sure this will have the logs you need so I’ll leave it in this configuration as long as I can. We’ll
need the system in a functional state again soon so I’ll need to set it back to ethernet and attach an external WiFi adapter again.
To be quite honest I’m not sure we’ve ever had a good WiFi or Cellular connection on a flexy. I know we have had trouble at times and it has been attributed to a bad signal. But I can’t verify.
Thank You for your help!!

MOVED TO STAFF NOTE (199 KB)

The wireless access point has some type of issue with the Flexy as you can see by these errors:

1588588362	04/05/2020 10:32:42	pla-Connection rejected by WIFI SSID  (Development)	pgdef-Connection rejected by WIFI SSID 	wanmgt	79336	20170

What type of wireless system is it (Brand, Model, etc.)? Is there a wireless controller and multiple APs or just one? There could be a security setting in the wireless controller causing the issue.

Kyle,

There are multiple APs. I do not know the brand or model of our Access points. I’ll copy our IT department on this email just in case they can shed some light. But in the long run we need this to work not only at our facility but at the
site of our customers too. Each customer will have subtle differences so the flexy needs to support all of the most common protocols. There is nothing uncommon about our Access Points. I am currently using the Flexy at a location where all other WiFi devices
seem to get a good strong reliable connection. The Flexy is connecting but the connection frequently drops out.

We are using the Flexy as a connectivity device. The selling point is that it establishes the most reliable secure connection possible using a variety of medium and protocols (Hard-Line, WiFi, Cellular) with a built in fallback strategy.

Altering settings in the Access Point to accommodate limitations of the Flexy is not a practical solution for us.

What do you suggest as our next step?

Thank You

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

This isn’t a common issue and at this point I don’t have enough information to tell you why the access point is rejecting the Flexy’s connection attempts, but most customers will not have an issue like this. I suggest getting as much information as possible from IT so we can get to the bottom of this particular issue. If they can provide information about the wireless controller and access points as well as logs or captures of what they are seeing on their end, we should be able to get it resolved.

Kyle,

May we schedule a call to make a plan. If we are going to involve our IT, we need to know more exactly what logs you are looking for and make efficient use of resources.

If we have a similar issue at a customer site it is unlikely any diagnostic information from the Access Point will be available.

I am still at a loss to understand why a consumer grade device is able to provide better performance than the Flexy.

Thank You

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

Wayne, I simply want to know what type of system it is and see what the wireless controller logs are saying when the Flexy is trying to connect. The IT department will understand what I’m looking for.

Since the detail was requested, for reference we use Meraki MR52 and MR42E access points in our network infrastructure of the facility.

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

The Meraki system may be falsely mistaking the Flexy as a rogue access point. Can you check the logs to see why it is being rejected?

The WiFi MAC should be 88:6b:0f:da:52:5e.

Kyle,

It is good that our IT will understand, but I also need to understand.

It is not enough to make the Flexy work here at our location. It must also work after our machines are built and installed at our customer locations.

You will not be communicating with our customers. Our IT will not be communicating with them.

I will.

I want to set up a call to reduce all of the back and forth email.

I’d like our IT on that call.

I am available any time.

I do not yet know the availability of our IT.

What is your availability?

Thank You

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

Kyle,

I think there is more to it. Let’s please get on a call.

My Cell phone number is (864)421-7207.

I’m available any time.

Thank You

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

Wayne,

Let me know when IT is available. I’m here from M - F 0800 - 1700 EST so I should be able to join a call as long as I get a heads up on the time. On Monday, the only time I won’t be available is 0900 - 1000 or 1200 -1300 and Tuesday is wide open right now. I’ll also be here today for another couple of hours if they can do somehting.

Kyle

Kyle,

Michael and I are good for 10:30 Monday. Michael may be remote. Should I create a Teams invite?

Thank You

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

Sure it’s kre@hms.se if don’t have it anymore. Have a good weekend and we’ll talk to you Monday!

Hi Wayne,

I didn’t get the Teams invite, so I wanted to check if you are still on for 10:30 today.

Kyle

Yes, we are still on.

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

Michael,

Interesting. There is a note in the link you send “… or a client left the BSSID without sending a deauthentication frame …”

From the Flexy logs I see:

1588882367;“07/05/2020 20:12:47”;“wanmgt-Restarting permanent WAN connection”;“wanmgt”;79336;1073772933

1588882375;“07/05/2020 20:12:55”;“pla-Cannot remove previous wifi network configuration (WPAS)”;“wanmgt”;79336;-20174

1588882395;“07/05/2020 20:13:15”;“pla-Cannot create a new wifi network configuration (WPAS)”;“wanmgt”;79336;-20175

1588882437;“07/05/2020 20:13:57”;“pla-Connection rejected by WIFI SSID (Development)”;“wanmgt”;79336;20170

1588882438;“07/05/2020 20:13:58”;“wanmgt-Restarting permanent WAN connection”;“wanmgt”;79336;1073772933

Looks like it is trying to disconnect and reconnect for some reason, but fails to disconnect properly.

I’m not sure what time today I’ll be able to replicate the issue. At this moment the device is in active use.

But some time later today I should be able to undo our temporary work around and get Kyle the logs we promised.

Thank You again for your help!!

Wayne

image001.png

Closing, moved to internal case number 202005-15142.