Anybus AB7650 Connection?

Hi im wondering if you could help me configure our Anybus X Gateway AB7650.

The Profinet IO side will be connected to a network switch/router where a robot, welder are connected.
The Modbus TCP side will be connected to a Generic HMI.

The idea is to control some robot signals using using the HMI through the X-Gateway.

We have set this up as follows.

Switch (172.31.1.50) <-> X Gateway PIO side (172.31.1.43) || X Gateway TCP side (172.31.1.44) <-> Generic HMI (172.31.1.54)

But the Gateway has flashing green on Modbus TCP side on both MS and NS?
And profit side has 3 red flashes on MS?

Please advice
Thanks

We have flashing greens on MS and NS on the Modbus TCP
while the Profinet IO side is MS flashing red (3 flashes)

Please advice on how this is done.

Regards

Hello @Nare_Prathipati,

For this device, AB7650, there is not that much configuration to be done with the device. You need to connect though the USB cable and set the IO size using the Anybus Configuration manager. Once that is configured you will need to make connections though the master of the respective interfaces. For the best explanation I recommend taking a look at the app note available on the files and documentation page on Anybus.com.

The MS and NS lights you are seeing will be like that until there are connections incoming to the device.

Regards,
Deryck

1 Like

Hi deryck_hms, thanks for your response.
I have selected 1 input byte x 2 and 1 output byte x 2 in my profit side so I assume its just going to be 2 bytes in and 2 bytes out for the tcp side too right?

Also I have connected my screen to the gateway but the MS and NS appear to the flashing green? Is this a mistake I made on my generic HMI (modes side) or problem with my gateway setup?

Please advice
Thanks

Hello @Nare_Prathipati,

With Profinet you need to be adding the device to the Profibus master. Typically these will be added to the bus with a PLC Master. You have only mentioned you are using a generic HMI. Can you confirm that the HMI is a Profinet Master? Are you configuring the profibus network with any software? Typically we add it to a Siemens plc and provide two app notes to do so. Are you performing similar step with your HMI?

https://www.anybus.com/docs/librariesprovider7/default-document-library/application-notes/hms-sci-1204-098.zip?sfvrsn=d9f7aad6_4

Hi thanks for your response,
We are using the HMI on the Modbus TCP side and the other end will be
connected to a Kuka Robot (Profinet side)
Please advice how this can be established.
Regards
n

@Nare_Prathipati,

The Gateway will be a slave device on the Profibus Profinet side. Does the Kuka Robot have a Profibus Profinet master? If it does not you might have the wrong device. If it does you will need to reach out to the Kuka Robot manufacturer.

Regards,
Deryck

Hi deryck,
Thanks for your response.
But just to keep it simple AB7650 is Profinet IO to Modbus TCP?
I am afraid I don’t understand the point when you described Profibus ? As our kuka robot has Profinet and not Profibus and the gateway specifically says Profinet IO.

Or Is this module actually a Profibus and not Profinet IO?

So on the data side we have selected 8 bytes IN (2bytes+2bytes+ 4 x 1 bytes) and same for OUT too in our Robot programming software.
and using the Anybus gateway configuration software, we have assigned 8 IN 8 OUT for Modbus TCP side and 8IN and 8 OUT and 8IN 8OUT for parameter data on the Profinet IO side.

We can send data from modbus tcp side and view the data monitor side for changes on the web browser.

But the modbus side still keeps flashing NS and MS on the modbus side. Is this normal?

Please advice

Thanks

Apologizes, I meant Profinet.

What I am thinking though is that you have the wrong device in terms of master Slave. Do you have a Profinet master on the network? Are you adding the profinet IO side to the master?

The interface also supports Ethernet/IP. The flashing NS and MS lights sounds fine, as they are used to indicate errors if Ethernet/IP was being used.

Deryck

1 Like

Thanks deryck,
I shall check with the Kuka Engineers to confirm what the Kuka controller is interms of Profinet Master/Slave.
And will update you shortly regarding the same.
Regards
:slight_smile:

Hi deryck, Please confirm if these are set correct .
abx_kuka.hcg (4.0 KB)

c1

So this is the error we have been getting while trying to connect to the ABX gateway from the KUKA KRC4 robot controller?
And we have also attached the GSDML file downloaded from Anybus site. under AB7650
GSDML-V2.3-HMS-ANYBUS_X_GATEWAY_PROFINET_IO-20151023.xml (43.9 KB)

error1

Please have a look at our network configuration to confirm the setup,
Net_map

Please advice for any changes/corrections.

Regards
N

Hello @Nare_Prathipati,

It looks like the device is configured for both Parameter data and IO data. What are you using for the IO size when adding the Profinet device to the network?

Deryck

1 Like

Hi deryck,
Thanks for your response

8 Bytes IN and 8 Bytes OUT in this manner (2bytes+2bytes+1bytes+1bytes+1bytes+1bytes) so a total of 8 bytes (1word) for each IN and OUT.

I suspect something is wrong with the Kuka software and windows 10 and does not allow us to add the Anybus device into the profinet.
Please see the attached error.
error1

I have left a query to the Kuka support and keep you updated.
Thanks

Try removing the 8bytes of parameter data from the anybus configuration. Set the input and output record size to 0.

Also you should be able to add the device just using the 8byte blocks for the input and output data.

Deryck

Thanks for your quick response deryck,
We suspect it maybe a controller software issue, I shall do the needful in terms of setting removing the parameter data and keep you updated. I am pretty sure I have tried that setup before but will change and see if it solves the issue.
But thanks for your time.
Really appreciate your responses.
Regards

No problem let us know if there is any further questions we can help with.

Deryck

1 Like

Hello all, I have the same issue on the kuka side do you know how Nar_Prathipati close this point?.
In fact we are trying to add the GSDML in the kuka soft to be able to set the name of the Profinet side of the anybus gateway. Until now even the Kuka technician doesn’t found the solution…
The LED is still blinking 3 times red on the profinet side.
IP Modbus TCP 10.1.20.4 128 bytes IN / 128 bytes OUT
IP Profinet 10.1.20.253 128 bytes IN / 128 bytes OUT

Hello @Aurelien_01,

I am thinking you are having an issue with the size the device is configured for doen’t match how it is added to the Profinet master. If you upload the configuration from the anybus with ACM is the size correct? Do you have any error messages on the master side? I would expect this to give some indication of the issue.

Deryck

Thank you, we solved the issue by connecting directly the “Kuka programmation computer” to the profinet RJ45 on the gateway and downloading the configuration of the network (name/IP adress…)
In fact as it is a Kuka soft it is not easy to find the way to download. It could be good to be able to set the name direcly on the gateway through IPconfig software…

Hi @Aurelien_01,

It looks like I had misinterpreted you previous post I incorrectly assumed you had set the station name. This is why you were seeing the 3 red flashes.

Deryck