Anybus Bolt PIN Security Setting

I am using Anybus Bolt as a Bluetooth NAP. A client that has a Boradcom BT chipset connects fine to with Bolt’s “Just Works” security setting which uses simple secured pairing. However, I have a client that uses an older RN42 BT module and it does not support SSP. Hence, I am forced to use PIN security. However, I am encountering an issue even with this as L2CAP/BENP connection is terminated after PIN exchange due to Authentication complete - LMP/LL timeout.

Reading the Bolt’s PIN setting a bit closer, it eludes the mode only supports Bolt to Bolt (ie, same brand) connection? Can a firmware update or specific AT command line be created to address that a 3rd party device can use PIN code security? With SSP and PIN ruled out, I cannot use the Bolt in open BT.

• Security Mode Disabled = No encryption or authentication.
    *** PIN = Encrypted connection with PIN code security. This mode only works between two units of this type and brand (not with third-party devices). PIN codes must consist of 4 to 6 digits.**
  • Just Works = Encrypted connection without PIN code.

Hello Derek,

You are correct the Pin option only works with between the Wireless Bridge II and Wireless Bolt. At this time we do not have any additional options besides Just works for 3rd party devices. I am checking if this is something we can expect to see if a future update.

Deryck

Hello,

Currently we do not have any plans to add additional security options to the bolt. Pin security is actually depreciated for the bluetooth spec.

Deryck

Deryck,
Thanks for the reply … we are working on some older Bluetooth 2.1 spec chips that at a certain firmware version that does not quite support secure simple pairing (SPP), so we have to ask.