Anybus for Internet Access

I have a customer that needs to give their HMI internet access using an Anybus. The customer suggested the AWB2030-B but that looks like a device that extends wired ethernet to wireless. Wouldn’t the AWB1000 be the option to allow internet access?

Hi @lam373,

For 4G LTE internet you will want the AWB1500 series.

The AWB1000 only supports CAT-M1 and NB-IoT networks (Low Power consumption, Low Bandwidth (25-300 kbit/s)).

Kyle thanks, for the answer. Can any of the Bolt’s use the customer’s wireless network as a WAN IP address to provide access to the internet?

From my understanding, the Bolt looks more to be a network bridge.

Yes, the AWB2030 and AWB3000 (Ethernet RJ45 PoE version) can be used to provide access to a WiFi network.

See:

No, it can be used as a bridge, but can also be used for a number of other non-bridge applications, like connecting to an existing network, or providing wireless access to a single device. There are also several varieties:

1. Ethernet RJ45 PoE (AWB2030 and AWB3000 - only difference is form factor)
  2. IoT (AWB1000)
  3. 4G LTE (AWB1500)
  4. Serial (AWB2010)
  5. CAN (AWB2020)

If you read the Configuration Examples section of the AWB2030 User Manual (page 31), that will give you an idea of the different use cases.

Kyle,

Thanks for the help, my customer wants to give a PLC an internet connection so it can send email. I read through the docs you supplied and Mac address cloning seems to be the way I want to go. My only question is does the PLC have to be on the same subnet as the wireless network or just the WAN IP of the bolt?

Good question. In the case of MAC cloning, the Bolt essentially becomes the network adapter for the PLC, so it doesn’t exactly have it’s own IP address, it shares the IP address with the PLC. Because of this, the IP address needs to be in the same subnet as the wireless network it’s connecting to.