Anybus Wireless Bolt

Hello

I have an application where I want to bridge a Rockwell PLC and HMI to a client’s network (Cisco infrastructure) using Ethernet/IP. The PLC is pushing data to a SQL DB and the HMI only needs access to an remote active directory for username/password logins.

I have tried another vendors product, but it can only handle one L2 connection to a Cisco WAP. The L3 connection does not support Ethernet/IP

Can the Bolt support multiple Ethernet/IP connections to Cisco (or any other typical IT infrastructure?)

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

If you are connecting a bolt to a Cisco or other access point you need to use layer2 traffic you need to use layer 2 MAC clone mode. This allows the MAC to be presented on the wifi network . Since only one mac can be used you are limited to only 1 device.

You might need to clarify this question, the Bolt can support multiple Ethernet/IP connections but from only one device connected on the LAN.

For multiple device on the LAN to connect to the Wireless network you would need a LAN network with the HMI and PLC with a gateway connecting to the Wireless network. While it is not its intended purpose our eWon wifi Cosy device could achieve this.

If you have two bolts paired it acts as a wire replacement and multiple device can connect over later 2.

We are successfully using a wireless bolt in Layer 3 IP Forward on a Cisco Meraki network. It is connected to a unmanaged switch with 5 clients behind it. We are about to start testing PLC behind Bolt on a Cisco Traditional network soon.

Hi Adam

Thanks for the info. I am not an IT/wireless expert - I know just enough to get into trouble! Unfortunately my client is not able to provide much support on the IT side.

My application is a CompactLogix PLC pushing data to a SQL DB over a wireless network using standard CIP messaging. I have a local HMI communicating with the PLC on the wired side. We are using another vendors wireless bridge, which has a default mode that binds one IP on the wireless side to a MAC-ID on the wired side. This all works perfectly, however the client has now asked us to add us username/password using their active directory over the wireless network. I need to get my HMI on the wireless network as well. The bridge has a multi-client mode, (L3 only) but this doesn’t support Ethernet/IP (which is stated in their documentation)

Hence I am looking for an alternative product. What I don’t really understand is whether Ethernet/IP is limited to L2 only or can it be supported on L3 by other vendors? The other issue I am facing is that the customers IT group will not entertain any modifications to their infrastructure setup, and I suspect this may be part of the problem. I have a suspicion that the configuration on the Cisco side is only allowing one IP per wireless connection.

Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Hi Derek;

Thanks for the info. I am not an IT/wireless expert - I know just enough to get into trouble! Unfortunately my client is not able to provide much support on the IT side.

My application is a CompactLogix PLC pushing data to a SQL DB over a wireless network using standard CIP messaging. I have a local HMI communicating with the PLC on the wired side. We are using another vendors wireless bridge, which has a default mode that binds one IP on the wireless side to a MAC-ID on the wired side. This all works perfectly, however the client has now asked us to add us username/password using their active directory over the wireless network. I need to get my HMI on the wireless network as well. The bridge has a multi-client mode, (L3 only) but this doesn’t support Ethernet/IP (which is stated in their documentation)

Hence I am looking for an alternative product. What I don’t really understand is whether Ethernet/IP is limited to L2 only or can it be supported on L3 by other vendors? The other issue I am facing is that the customers IT group will not entertain any modifications to their infrastructure setup, and I suspect this may be part of the problem. I have a suspicion that the configuration on the Cisco side is only allowing one IP per wireless connection.

Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Hi @kevinpw,

Ethernet/IP needs layer 2 to work properly. You will most likely run into the same issue with any wireless bridging device.

If you were to use one of our AWB devices as an access point, we support multiple clients with later 2 connections.

Deryck

Are they wanting to use Dot1x for the auth?