AT command for radio power

@anonjoshlptk
Hi Jason,

It looks like by default it’s set to -1 for “Adaptive transmit power level control”

Other than that it lets you choose between values 0 and 20

-Tim

Tim,

Thanks for the information you sent on power levels. I havent changed them from auto-detect as I suspect it is determining the “just right” power level based on signal level.

Adding a plate behind the client and AP bridge antennas has helped to reduce the RSSI to about -74 from -76. The two units are line of sight to each other and only 283’ (83m) apart, so I would like to improve the RSSI even more if possible, as there are plans to use this bridge connection for additional automation controls in the future.

I was looking at different antenna solutions that might possibly be swapped for the external 3" stub antennas provided by HMS (see links):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008Z4I7WQ/ref=psdc_3015438011_t1_B00NQGVMSE

I attached pics of the HMS AP unit and enclosure. One can see the HMS-provided pass-thru cable connector mounted on the top of the enclosure. On the external side, the connector screws into the 3" stub antenna pig tail, but I don’t have any specs on this HMS-provided connector.

Can you provide specs on the HMS stub connector pig tail connector (the one that connects to the external top side of the enclosure shown) so that I can order the correct matching cable/connector and adapters for an alternate antenna such as the YAGI version show in the amazon link?

Thanks,

Jason Ochsner

Amsted Rail

Hi Jason,

Sorry for the delay, I was out of the office on vacation the last few days.

I’ll check with sales and see what I can find out for the specs on the antenna you have.

@us_sales

Thanks,
-Tim

Hi Jason,

It looks like on page 15 of this doc they give some more info on the antenna you have:

https://static6.arrow.com/aropdfconversion/83da79634c96fcf0834eff68029932f282bc40de/133349463956777obs418-electricalmechanical_datasheet_28ubx-150162422.pdf#page=15

Tim,

Could you please send the document as a pdf or provide another link? I couldnt get this link to work even from different browsers on different pcs.

Would you forsee a problem using a YAGI antenna like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008Z4I7WQ/ref=psdc_3015438011_t1_B00NQGVMSE

on the AP end of the HMS wireless bridge II?

Regards,

Hi Jason,

Hopefully this link will work

133349463956777obs418-electricalmechanical_datasheet_28ubx-150162422.pdf (2.7 MB)

if not here’s a screenshot

It’s hard to say how a 3rd party antenna will work with this device without having tested it, but I would think it should work as long as it has the correct frequency and is the correct type of SMA. It looks like the antenna that you showed also has an N-Type female connector so you’d likely need an adapter to convert it to the correct SMA. While the antenna may work, we won’t be able to say for certain that it will work, but I can’t see anything obvious about why it wouldn’t connect.

Tim,

After reviewing the documentation you sent, I guess my main question is- will the new Yagi antenna (spec’d at -17dB) work normally with the HMS wireless II bridge?

I had heard that radios like the W2B need to be ‘matched’ to their antennas in terms of output power. Will the -17dB rating for the new antenna be too much for the W2B? Will the default “auto power” setting on the AP side of the bridge automatically adjust for the difference in dB between the factory-supplied stub omni antenna and the yagi?

Thanks,

J Ochsner

Hi Jason,

After looking through some more documentation we can’t really recommend using antennas outside of the certified ones we offer. It seems like if you’re not using one of the certified ones that it invalidates our certification and may not be legal with radio regulations.

I’m going to escalate this and see what I can find out though

After talking with one of the developers it appears that we have the list of certified antennas in chapter 8 of this doc. He did tell me that we can’t gaurantee 3rd party antennas will be FCC compliant because they don’t fall under our FCC certification, but as long as they have at least 50 ohms of impedance it should function