AWB2030 - Using the AT Commands

I am trying to determine the best way to run an AT command on my Wireless Bolt AWB2030. Is it done through the configuartion Web window or is it done through another software? I have the Anybus Wireless Bolt Reference Guide for all of the AT commands, but I am unsure how to actually configure a command on my bolt.

Any help guides or suggestions with visuals to set that up. For example if I wanted to run the AT*WACH Access Point Channel Command where would i enter in the code to run this command?

Hi @TSchott,

You will want to run the commands though the web page on the AWB. There is a AT command section where you can enter the commands and send them to the device. The response will then show up below.

Deryck

Deryck,

That makes sense and I see what you are referring to. Is there any way to run these commands from a PLC and command the bolt to do this without using the web interface? I found the Bolt AT Command User manual and it says this below:

However I have not seen any visuals that show how to program the plc to send the command to the bolt.

Thanks,

Hi Tschott,

I have something similar done with a eWon Flexy but I am not sure if it was done using AT commands. I will look into this and get back to you.

Deryck

@deryck_hms, Thank you for looking into that. Our client essentially wants to do an AT command that could re initialize communication without doing a power reset or unplugging the Ethernet line to the bolt.

Hi @TSchott,

Here is the topic I was thinking of. BASIC Programming - Sending AT commands to wireless Bolt
This was done using a Flexy to setup a bolt. What you will need to do from the PLC would be to open a raw socket connection over port 8080 then send it ascii AT commands. You can try this by using putty and opening a raw connection.

Deryck

@deryck_hms, thank you for this information. I used the putty software and ran the β€˜AT*’ instruction and it gave back exactly what it would if i did it in the web configurator. Now I am working on the PLC side and I have this window and I am not sure what settings to choose. Any feedback on what info to put in here?

Thanks

Any idea on how to does this using the plc program?

@TSchott,

Unfortunately, I’m not sure how you can create this kind of connection from a PLC. I came across this doc with a quick google search https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/at/enet-at002_-en-p.pdf It might be possible to use the openconnection service.

Deryck

I think i found the same document. Trying it now. Thanks for your help! Will have to let you know what I find out!

Great I would love to know if this works.

Hi TSchott, hi Deryck,
for my studies I had to solve exactly this problem and I want to share to you and others what I found out.
I used a Siemens 1500 PLC and put the Bolt just into a free Profinet / Ethernet Port. Then I connected via the TCON-Block to it (Target Port 8080 of course, local Port 23, for telnet connections) and sent some commands with the TSEND. It is very important to add β€˜$R’ (carriage return) at the end of every command so the Bolt knows when the command is complete. After sending one or multiple commands, you can use the TRCV block to read all the answers. Configure it to variable length and ADHOC-Mode, and you will be fine.
Tutorials on these blocks can be found all over the web, just remember to add the β€˜$R’, this took me two weeks to find out. Also, I am pretty sure that other PLCs have similar ways to create such an open connection.
Hope this helps some future projects.

Greetings, Max

1 Like

Hi Max,

Thanks for this info! Nice to see you were able to get this working for you and share.

Regards,
Deryck