B40 EDS file Question

I am using the B40 Brick with E-IP in an embedded design and it seems to have a type problem on the PLC side?

My Tags are set for USINT16 and are displayed correctly on the web server so I think they are correct for the B40. When I make the EDS file and use it in the PLC ladder the UINT16 turns into two separate USINT values in the PLC space. I recognized the split and can put the number back together by: 256 x the upper byte + the lower byte. A bit sloppy on the PLC side but I can’t find a way around it?

Has anyone seen the same issue? I have tried changing the TAG types and no other type works. I don’t know if this is an EDS file issue or a problem in the Generic Support Files.

Thanks,
Bill

Hi @Bsimon,

Are you testing this with the starter kit?
This might be an issue with how the EDS is generate or how you are adding it. How are you adding it into studio 5000? Most of our device you are able to set the data type when you add the module. Is this not the case? Can you share the EDS you are generating for me to test with?

Deryck

When you are adding the module you can change the size set in the module definition.

1 Like

Hi Deryck, I have the B40 designed into my Ultrasonic Processor which runs a cypress PSOC controller talking to the Brick on the built in SPI channel. Once I have the Brick configured, I use the HMS eds generator utility to make the EDS file. Then I use the EDS file in the PLC system to define the Tags for use in the ladder logic or structured text program. There are only a few Tags for this project, I’m just passing I/O back and forth with a few values to control my ultrasonic parameters. I will try to attach my EDS file.

Thanks,
Bill
EDS060618_131.EDS (40.0 KB)

Hi @Bsimon,

Testing with your EDS file I was able to change the data type to INT from the module definition.

Deryck,

I’m using a B&R X20 PLC to test my ultrasonic product. Once I add the module, the data type for each TAG is set. A table opens that lets me set a process variable (on the PLC side) to match up with the TAGs shown. It won’t let me change the type that came in with the EDS file, it forces me to assign the process variable with the same type as the table.

I can switch to AB and Studio 5000 to see if I can edit the TAG types. . .

My B40 E-IP Bricks are firmware version 1.31 from about a year ago. Should I ask for the latest version just in case?

Thanks for your efforts!
Bill

I think Studio/Logix only allows you to set the type when you first add the module. Do you get the option if you add a new device?

Deryck

Hi Deryck,

I’m still trying with the B&R system. I do get a similar screen as you have shown in Studio 5000 but it will not let me change the Type of my process Tags. They must match the EDS file generated by the HMS utility. I’m wondering if the EDS generator utility needs to be updated or do I dare trying to edit the Type after the file is generated? Doesn’t seem like a good idea but I’m up to trying anything. I don’t have an AB system available at the moment so I can’t switch over to Studio 5000. . .

Thanks,
Bill

What does the B&R configuration look like? You should not need to change the eds file to change the data size. Have you checked with B&R on how to change the size?

Deryck

Hi Deryck,

The module I/O map screen capture is uploaded. The B40 Web server shows my tag values correctly, I can enter values to 64k. On the PLC side after I use the EDS file to add a module, I end up with two 8 bit bytes for each tag I defined. I did check with B&R, so far they cannot show me a way to change the type to UINT. I end up with USINT for an 8 bit value (unsigned short)? I have 6 integer inputs and 11 integer outputs but I am forced to deal with them as two 8 bit values each.

I am using the HMS EDS generator to create the EDS file. It is more than 2 years old, could there be an update available that could help? The EDS generator does not show a rev number when I run it so I don’t know if its the latest or not? (grabbing at anything?).

Thanks,
Bill

This looks like an issue with how the PLC software is handling the EDS file. As shown in the screen shots above the EDS provides both SINT and INT options. As an alternative to the EDS generator we provide you can follow the EIP spec to modify or create your own EDS file.

The latest version is available on the anybus.com/support site and should be 1.0.1.2.
https://cdn.hms-networks.com/docs/librariesprovider7/default-document-library/software/eds-file-generator.zip?sfvrsn=4dcbbcd6_14

Hi Deryck,

I did download EDS generator rev 1.0.1.2 yesterday with the same result. Is there such a thing as an EDS editor? Once the EDS module is added to the DTM control on the B&R X20 PLC, it shows a little blue lock and I can’t find any way to “open” the lock so I can change the type.

So far, B&R has not been able to help me. There is a new version of the B&R Automation Studio, I’m making sure I have the latest rev files and tools so I will upgrade just in case.

I am using the Generic Driver files that HMS provides? Is there any configuration that might control how the EDS parameters are built when the EDS generator is started? Even though, If I change the Tag types in the generic configuration, the tags will be wrong on the HMS Web server. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Bill

If you look at the eds in notepad the parameters are set to 16bit ints

Param1 =
            0,                      $ Reserved (always 0)
            0,                      $ Link path size
            "",                     $ Link path
            0x0000,                 $ Descriptor
            0xC7,                   $ Data type (Unsigned 16–bit integer value)
            2,                      $ Data size
            "SonicsCommand",        $ Parameter name

You can also use EZ-eds from ODVA to view and edit the EDS. https://www.odva.org/software/EZ-EDS-Download
Looking at it in there also shows the size set to UINT for the parameters.

Deryck

Ya, sure seems to be correct to me. If it would just let me assign it to an UINT process variable, everything would be cool . . .

Deryck, I have installed the EZ-EDS. When I open the EDS file created by the latest HMS EDS generator, I get a warning: “[DLR Class] - Redundant_Gateway_Capable - Unknown Entry Keyword.” Not sure if that’s important? EDS attached.
I can’t give up!
Thanks,
Bill

EDS040620_145.EDS (40.0 KB)

Hello Bsimon,

As the error points out this is an error regarding the eds and a setting for DLR, it is also just a warning. This would not be causing issues with the size in the PLC software. Keep in mind the EDS works in studio 5000 and the sizes look correct in the EDS.

Deryck

Thanks for your help over the last couple of weeks. Using the EZ EDS program, I was finally able to convince B&R that the EDS file created with the HMS Utility is correct. It turns out that the version of Automation Studio I was using does not like having your project reside on the desktop. Brittany from B&R Support moved the project off of the desktop and everything works. I can assign UINT or anything else I want! Everything simplified and now my program is 1/2 page long. . .

Thanks,
Bill

Thanks for following up always nice to hear an issue is resolved!

Deryck