BASIC to rerun internet wizard and VPN wizard

Hello,

How can I write a BASIC script to rerun internet wizard and VPN wizard if something happens (like eWon has been offline for 2 hours)?

In my mind, I can just write the correct value into system configuration tags associated with Internet and VPN settings. Do you think this will work? If so, what are the configuration tags?

Background: I have an eWon at customer site offline. I will visit the customer and get system log for diagnostic and troubleshooting. To build a more reliable system, I went through forum and summarized common solutions(as listed below), assuming customer’s network is not the root cause. I have found/developed methods to make all the other changes except “Rerun VPN/Internet Wizard”. That’s why I’d like to learn this feature.

• Update firmware
  • Reboot
  • Rerun VPN/Internet Wizard
  • Force TCP
  • Static DNS

Thank you very much.
Tony

Hi @dxttony

I think I have something similar to what you’re looking for. The code below is written to cause a device to reboot if it’s offline for more 10 minutes or more. When it comes back online it should go through trying to connect to the internet again similar to how it would if you reran the wizard.

Reboot if not online after 10 minutes.txt (921 Bytes)

Hi @Tim_hms

Thanks for the information. Sounds like eWon will do something similar to rerun internet wizard and vpn wizard after each reboot?

If this is true, I agree with you that the reboot code works for me.
If this is false, I still need additional code to make eWon do something similar to rerun internet wizard and vpn wizard. And I’d like to learn the best way of implementing this feature through BASIC.

Thank you for your clarification.
Tony

I can’t think of a reason that rerunning the internet/vpn wizard would make it work when a reboot would not. I’d say try and use this code for now and see if it’s still running into issues. If it is still running into issues it may be a better idea to try and find out what is actually causing these disconnection issues

Thanks, @Tim_hms. I will follow your suggestion.

1 Like

Ok sounds good to me, let me know if you run into any issues

@Tim_hms Good morning, Tim

The eWon that was offline last week came back online over the weekends. I attached the backup with supporting files in the attachment. Could you please help me take a look at it and find out the reason for offline? I glanced through it unfortunately it looks like the eWon went through a power cycle and system logs don’t have earlier information.

Thank you
Tony
MOVED TO STAFF NOTE (291.5 KB)

Hi @dxttony

It looks like the device intermittently, when it runs into http request issues. You could try and change your secondary DNS to something like 8.8.8.8 (google’s DNS) or 1.1.1.1 (free public DNS). I also saw that it looked like your BASIC section was empty based on the included backup file

Thanks, Tim. I will change the secondary DNS. Do you think the DNS problem was the root cause for system offline?

I haven’t had a chance to add the BASIC section but I will implement it today.

Thanks
Tony

Hi Tony,

It’s possible that it could be a DNS issue, or at least I’ve seen that be a problem for people having http request issues in the past