Beckhoff CX2020

I am trying to setup data logging with my Beckhoff PLC. The flexy has all of its basic configurations and is working but I need some help with the IO servers. Which IO server do you use and how do you link the tags? Do i need to be connected to the PLC in order to link the tags? The IO configuration is what i am looking for help with.

Hello,

Is there a particular Protocol that the Beckhoff uses?

The flexy will need to be connected on the LAN side with the PLC.

See the IO Server document below:

referred forum post

TCP, UDP, IP. Based on one of your other forum posts it seems that i need to setup the PLC to send the tags to the flexy? use modbusTCP?

Hello,

Yes, you would need use Modbus TCP with the FLexy. Create the Tags within the PLC and use Dynamic Tag Addressing when creating the tags in the Flexy. You would need to match by Tag Name. I would look at section 2.3 for the Tag name.

1 Like

ill work on this one. thank you for the clarification.

I setup my register to be 30000 based on your reference guide, but this is not correct. What is the correct register range on the ewon to accept word values from my beckhoff PLC. I am using the function block below to send the values to my modbus server.

My apologies the adress range is 40000 for function code 6.

I keep getting an error message stating invalid tcp register.
Is there something that i am not setting up correctly? (see pic)

When publishing Modbus TCP tags, it sets it to Analog Output Holding Register. The Flexy automatically offsets the register address.

For example:

If you want to create an Holding Register as 40010, you will need to set the Tag Visibility register to 10.

I still have some kind of communication issue going on. Is there anything that stands out that you can see going on? It is really hard to figure out whether my problem is coming from my plc or the flexy configuration. It seems like I do not have my server setup correctly on my flexy side.

the tag status says “no connection”

Hello,

I am a little confused by the Tag set up.

Which is the MODBUS Master in your set up, is it the PLC or the Flexy?

If it is the Flexy, you will need to uncheck the publish Modbus Tag option. As the the Flexy will be polling the data on the PLC.

If the PLC is the Master, you will need to change the Server Name to MEM.

Also can you disable Tags in Error, under the IO server screen of the Flexy?