Bolt via Bluetooth where the laptop is the NAP

Is there a way to connect a laptop to the Bolt via Bluetooth where the laptop is the NAP and the Bolt is the client? I have been unsuccessful thus far in getting this to work. The Bolt attempts to connect (seen through the web interface) but ultimately fails and disconnects. The laptop shows as paired (twice) with the Bolt both on the Bolt’s web interface and the laptop’s Bluetooth interface. I have the PAN Networking Service enabled on the laptop.

Regards,

Paul

Hello Paul,

The AWB supports PANU and NAP profiles and is capable of connection to a PC that is running a PAN network. It takes a few tries to get windows to allow the connection. I was never able to get the Pin option to work but have been able to connect with Just Works and disabled security settings.

Here is a screen shot of the BT config on the device I have used.

Best regards,
Deryck

Deryck,

Thank you for the feedback. Unfortunately, wireless communication without security enabled is not a viable solution. I am working with a Windows 7 Toshiba laptop. Toshiba provides their own Bluetooth Stack and it was a little trickier getting the two to connect but they finally did. I had to create a “New Connection” in the Toshiba Bluetooth Settings application. This effectively pairs the devices. I then had to initiate that connection from the laptop. The order of connection seems backwards (Server initiate connection to client) but as far as I can tell the Bolt is acting as the client. I was even able to have PAN security enabled on the laptop with “Just works” set on the Bolt.

Regards,

Paul

Thanks for the update let me know if you have any further questions.

Deryck

So after some further investigation it appears that by initiating the connection from the laptop it connects to the Bolt as a client (PANU). So I am still unable to get the Bolt to connect to the PAN Server on the laptop on its own. Not sure if the problem is with the laptop’s Bluetooth configuration or the Toshiba Bluetooth Stack itself. I’ve even tried setting (on the Bolt) the Connection Scheme to MAC and setting the MAC address of the laptop’s Bluetooth interface. That didn’t help.

Hello Paul,

What do you have the Bolt configured as? It sounds like it is configured to be a NAP (Network Access Point). So the PC configures itself to be a PANU (PAN User). Make sure you are setting the PC up to be a NAP then the Bolt is a PANU device.

Deryck

Deryck,

Yes, the Bolt is setup as a PANU. So it turns out, according to this and a number of other sources (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25875409/bluetooth-pan-role-as-nap-on-windows), the Bluetooth stacks available on Windows 7 do not support NAP (including the Toshiba stack). So I’ll have to investigate if PANU-to-PANU (point-to-point) will work for my application. Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Paul