Can’t set IP on Anybus Modbus TCP slave to Modbus TCP slave

Hello everyone. I apologize for my ignorance in advance, but I’m not familiar with the Anybus device and I’m hoping you can help me.

We have had some equipment vendors install a new system and one of the devices they have installed is the Anybus Modbus TCP slave to Modbus TCP slave. The vendor has configured their equipment and the IP they have configured on network 1 is set (xxx.xxx.19.161) and seems to be working.

They claim to have configured network 2 to work on our network (xxx.xxx.1.80) in order to allow the new equipment on their network to communicate with the equipment on our network.

The problem is that I cannot find the xxx.xxx.1.80 address. I cannot ping it from our network, I cannot find it in our DHCP server, I cannot find it with an IP scanner, and I cannot see it with the HMS IPConfig utility. I do however see the 19.161 address and device with the utility. When I spoke with them, they didn’t seem to have any information available to me on how they configured the IP address for network 2, so I’m assuming it didn’t truly get configured.

My question is: how do I access network 2 in order to assign it an address? I’ve tried plugging directly in to network 2 with an Ethernet cable, but I have not been able to reach anything with a 1.80 IP. Since I cannot find anything on our DHCP server related to the Anybus, and my IP scanner (and HMS IPConfig) isn’t finding any IP address related to the Anybus, I can’t even figure out where to start or how to find it in order to configure it.

Please help so I can finish this configuration of equipment. Thank you all very much.

Hello @DSWS ,

The device has two network interfaces each with two ports. You should see two on the top of the X-gateway and two on the bottom. You may only be connected to the Network 1 interface. Try scanning the second set of ports on the device, it should show up in IP config.

I did try to plug into the second set of ports on the bottom, which is supposed to be for “our network.” I was unable to find anything with the tool. However, after thinking about this all weekend, I thought that there may be a chance that “our” ports were never configured at all, despite us being told they were, and maybe it was still using the default IP of 192.168.0.XXX. I didn’t change my laptop to that IP, so that could explain why I couldn’t find it. I’m going to try again and let you guys know. In the meantime, if you have more suggestions, I will try those as you post them. Thank you!

The Network interfaces should show up in HMS IPconfig even if no IP address is set. disconnect the gateway from both networks and plug a network cable from your laptop into one port then connect a second cable from the adjacent port and connect the other end to the second interface. This should show you both interfaces at the same time in HMS IPconfig. This might help verify both interfaces are configured as expected.

This worked great. I was able to give the Anybus an IP address on our network and see the other side’s configuration. I do have one question: I’m still unable to ping the .19.xxx devices on the other side from a device on the 1.xxx network (Network 2). Is there an additional setting or am I misunderstanding something? Thanks again!

I’m not sure what you are trying to do exactly buy I think you are misunderstanding something. The Ports on the top (network 1) of the device are not networked to the bottom (network 2) of the device. To ping or reach the web interface of the device you would need your pc to be in the same subnet.

I am misunderstanding then, yes. Only going by what I was told from the vendors installing the hardware. Sorry about that. I guess I’m not sure what they’re trying to accomplish then. Oh well. Thanks for the help!

A modbus TCP server <> modbus TCP server gateway can be used to allow two Modbus TCP Clients to exchange data and be in two different subnets. This allows them to Write modbus data to one interface and allow your system to read it out the other side.