CM CanOpen - RDREC & WRREC

Hi,

1. Does the CM CanOpen need to be in NMT Operational mode to be able to read and write the data? If yes, how do I switch this to Operational mode?

2. I am having trouble reading / writing the data from/to the CM CanOpen module. I am using the RDREC and WRREC functions is TIA Portal software. I have given a correct hardware ID. I am able to read some data with the RDREC but this not the data I expect to read. How to determine what value the variable Index should have in RDREC?

3. With WRREC, I am unable to write any data and I am getting a error every time. The STATUS variable has a value of 16#C080_A300 in it. Any idea what this means? Is there an example of the RDREC & WRREC I can see to understand how to use these?

Please let me know if any thoughts. I am stumped!

My CM CanOpen module is stuck in NMT “Pre-Operational” mode. “RUN” LED is blinking. I am not sure how to change the mode to Operational on this. Can you help?

I will have to double check with a colleague for these answers. I will get back to you Monday with more information.

A colleague presented the following,

“Does the CM CanOpen need to be in NMT Operational mode to be able to read and write the data? If yes, how do I switch this to Operational mode?”
the CM module is able to exchange process image data when itis operational

• additional condition for TPDOs of the CM module:
    minimum one slave must be operational
    note:
    only successfully booted slaves (whose configuration was successful) can be set to operational

the CM module swichtes automatically to operational when the network initialization has been finished and the PLC is RUN

“I am having trouble reading / writing the data from/to the CM CanOpen module. I am using the RDREC and WRREC functions is TIA Portal software. I have given a correct hardware ID. I am able to read some data with the RDREC but this not the data I expect to read. How to determine what value the variable Index should have in RDREC?”
the data format of the exchanged data is Little Endian:

• 16 bit / 32 bit values must be swapped after reception / before transmission by the PLC

the order and the offset of a value in the uploaded / downloaded byte stream depends of the layout of the process image in the Configuration Studio

• see the description of the processing of the PI data by the CANopen demo

“With WRREC, I am unable to write any data and I am getting a error every time. The STATUS variable has a value of 16#C080_A300 in it. Any idea what this means? Is there an example of the RDREC & WRREC I can see to understand how to use these?
16#C080_A300: general backplane communication error:”

• please send the TIA project: it must be checked

attached the CANopen demo for TIA V13. it consists of

• a demo configuration of the Configuration Studio
  • TIA V13 CANopen demo whose exchange of PI data is based on the layout of the process image in the demo configuration of the Configuration Studio
  • please read the description of the demo:
    it provides musch more information than the manual

My CM CanOpen module is stuck in NMT “Pre-Operational” mode. “RUN” LED is blinking. I am not sure how to change the mode to Operational on this. Can you help?"
the CM module does not continue with the network initialization if there is not another device that confirms its CAN messages
possible reasons:

• does the CM module run with the correct CAN baudrate ( see device parameters of the CM module in the hwardware configuration of TIA)
  • does every slave run with the correct CAN baudrate ?
  • is the mounting correct:
    see chapter 4.4 Line Termination of the manual
  • is the CAN bus correctly terminated ?
    note:
    the CAN bus has a line topology:
    each end - but only the 2 ends - must be terminated with the correct resistor
  • is the cable length to high ?
    see chapter 4.3 Maximum Cable Lengths of the manual
  • the configuration of the slaves fails:
    first attempt:
    Network Management Configuration in the Configuration Studio
    Slave Assignment / NMT Slave: do not set bit 7

additional:
the customer shall install the update of the Configuration Studio:

• update of the Configuration Studio
    close the Configuration Studio but do not uninstall it
    run the unzipped update
    open the Configuration Studio

CANopen Demo TIA V13.zip (6.4 MB)

This is the link to the manager project,

Thanks very much for this information Nick. I will review this towards the end of this week and let you know how it turned out! I appreciate your help!!

Hi Nick, Is it possible to send a TIA V12 file? I cannot open V13. Thanks for your support. I will be testing your colleagues suggestions today.

I will have to check with my colleague if we have a version of the demo for V12.

I apologize, but we do not have a version of this demo for V12.

One thing my colleague point out is that the following chapters in the document found in the demo are very helpful no matter what version of TiA you use,

-Chapter 4, except chapter 4.2.4, 4.2.5, 4.3.4 and 4.3.5 which describe the demo implementation

Also, chapter 5.1

Hi Nick,

I am reading data with RDREC but I don’t know what index to use. In the manual it says 90hex but I don’t see any useful data at this location. If I keep REQ bit ON, it keeps reading random data. My device is still stuck in preoperational mode.

I appreciate all the help we can get but at this time I am just REALLY confused as nothing seems to work. The manual is really confusing. I am not sure how to utilize this manual as it only describes how the FC blocks are supposed to function, whereas I do not have access to any of these FC blocks.

I apologize for the delay, can you please create a ticket at the following link?

https://www.ixxat.com/support/contact-technical-support

At this point I think it will be easier for us to work with the product expert using this method.