to talk to a siemens 300 system through Step7. I am able to ping both the
PLC and the gateway but unable to set a station name on the device. Any
help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jon Donigian

Process Control Engineer

Dearborn Works, HDGL

Hello Jon,

You must set the station name through the Siemens Step 7 software. We do have an application note that goes over this, can you please take a look?

https://www.anybus.com/docs/librariesprovider7/default-document-library/application-notes/hms-sci-1204-098.zip?sfvrsn=d9f7aad6_30

Best regards,
Nick

Nick,

When I try to do step 5.3 with the “Edit
Ethernet Node” popup, no nodes pop up even if I’m connected directly
to the gateway. Also, is there a way to reset a gateway if you’ve misconfigured
the modbus IP thus being unable to connect to the web interface?

Thank you,

Jon

Jon,

There would be no need to do any sort of reset. Which ethernet port are you connecting to on the gateway?

Best regards,
Nick

I am connecting to the profinet (front)
connector when trying to assign the station name. I had already configured
the IP and such through the web interface and have now forgotten the IP
for the modbus side (bottom).

Jon

You can use our IPconfig utility to find the IP address of the Modbus TCP side. If the Siemens software is not finding the module when scanning it seems likely there is something incorrectly setup with the Network card in your PC in conjunction with the Siemens software. Can you see the PLC?

Best regards
Nick

I tried using the IPconfig tool without
success. I can ping both the PLC and Gateway from the Step7 station.

Jon

Jon,

Are you trying to scan for the PROFINET port with IPconfig? That should not work.

When you scan in the Step7 software do you see the PLC?

Best regards,
Nick

I tried IPconfig on both sets of ports.

nothing comes up when I do the scan from the step7 station but I am able
to go online with PLC Blocks and HWConfig.

If you cannot see the device with IPconfig and you cannot see the PLC or gateway with Step7 it seems likely that maybe your firewall or antivirus could be the issue. I recommend disabling or making sure port 3250 is not blocked (this is the port used for IPconfig).

Best regards,
Nick

I was unable to use IPConfig even when
using a laptop to connect directly to the gateway. No firewall or anything
involved.

Have you tried using different NIC options under settings? Sometimes there are enumeration issues between Windows and IPconfig.

Also, what version of IPconfig are you running? You can right click the window bar at the top and hit about IPconfig to find out.

Otherwise it will be imperative for you to make sure that port 3250 is not blocked, this is the problem most of the time. I might suggest also trying a different PC.

Hi Nick,

I’m still trying to get this thing to
work (AB9007) with my step7 system. I have gotten to the point where I
can configure the device and connect to the PLC at the same time but when
I download the hardware configuration it does not seem to be able to communitcate.

nick_hms no-reply@forum.hms-networks.com

To:
jonathon.donigian@aksteel.com

Date:
03/29/2018 01:18 PM

Subject:
[hms.how] [Anybus
Support/Anybus Gateways] Communication Issue ab9007-b

Hello,

Can you please tell me exactly what the LEDs are doing on the module? Do you have the amount of data in the PLC set up as the same amount you configured for your Modbus TCP transactions?

Best regards,
Nick

All lit LEDs are green. I currently don’t have the modbus device connected as it is out for repair. I have the status / livelist configured though so that I can continue to test. I have no transactions setup for the modbus device currently.

Hello,

Are they all solid? It might be better to just list exactly what they are doing.

What data modules have you added to the hardware configuration for the Anybus module? If the sizes do not match then it will not connect properly. You will want to review the address overview page in the gateway to understand how much data to use.

Best regards,
Nick

The lights are solid. I tried yesterday to configure with one word in and one word out by referencing this page saying 2 bytes were mapped in and 2 bytes were mapped out.

No communication as shown by the status symbols on the modules. When I opened the module information it says “module configured but not available” along with “different order numbers detected:”

Mapping Overview:

I have also made sure to insert the right device (PDev or no Pdev)

Jon Donigian

Process Control Engineer

Dearborn Works, HDGL

Hello,

Is there a reason you have not set up any Modbus transactions? You only have the control/status word as IO data, and this does not really make any sense. I am not sure what they would do without any servers or transactions set up. I suggest adding transactions and adjusting your hardware configuration accordingly.

Setting up the PROFINET side without doing anything on the Modbus TCP side is not very useful as the PROFINET side will change as soon as you do anything with Modbus TCP.

Best regards,
Nick

I don’t have any transactions setup currently as I the hardware I am trying to set this up for was sent out for repair some time ago. I do not have access to any other modbus TCP devices. though If I can at least get the basic Profinet communication setup I can modify it later when I add the transactions.

Ok, I still recommend setting up a server with transactions. I recommend turning off the control/status word and creating a device and transactions that do not physically exist. Improper use of the control/status words can cause unforeseen consequences.