Communication issue (consume)

I am trying to configure an HMS-EN2SE-R module to communication with a L16 compact logix and V31 logix 5000. We have the ability to read ASCII characters sent through the controller tags of the plc and receive them via hyper terminal. When we send data via hyper terminal we can also see that data in the configuration manager but ONLY in the log. Nothing shows up in any of the monitors or the plc tags. How are we able to send this data to the correct address and see it in the plc controller tags?

Also, the 5th light on the module is red and i cannot figure out the reasoning behind this issue.

Thanks

Hi,

LED #5 red is a transaction or subnet issue:

Have you followed the directions starting on page 21 of the following document to configure in Studio 5000?

Yes we have followed the setup as per the document. We have the ability to write from the PLC through the module and into a serial connection (Hyper terminal), and we are seeing what we should be. We are just unsure of how to extract the data we are sending FROM Hyper terminal through the module into the PLC. Again, when logging the data we can see it is sent exactly as it should be, but thats just it we can only see it in the logs. Where is this data placed into the PLC, we cannot see where our data is being sent as there is no address location in the Log window.

Here is a screenshot of the consume data tags from the module. image

and here are some of the process tags

Hello @cajmccormick,

Can you upload a export of the configuration and a log of the serial data. For the log, connect to the linking device and under tools click start logging until full. After it fills the log it will pop up save the log as a text file and upload that.

The log is a log of the serial traffic in both directions. This should give us a better idea of exactly what is on the serial bus.

Deryck

Hi Deryck,

below are the files

logTESTER.txt (24.7 KB)

TEST1.cfg (16.0 KB)
TEST1.cfx (31.2 KB)

Hi Deryck,

you responded to my other thread (i made 2 of the same by accident.) about using an example of a barcode scanner to help us along in the process of what we are trying to accomplish. I didn’t see the example in the other thread. Could you post it here? Or do you have any other solution. I also posted the log file and a configuration backup if you had a chance to look at them.

Thanks

Hello,

I currently have the HMS-EN2SE-R module. I am using it to convert RS232 to ethernet to a L16 compact logix controller V31.

Light #5 is flashing red and am unsure why?

We are simulating ASCII data via hyper terminal on a laptop and sending it to the module. We can see the sent data via the log in the module configuration so we know its sending to it no problem, but are unsure of why the data is not being passed into the PLC tags generated. We have communication via the produce portion as we can send characters via the PLC and they do show up in hyper terminal as they should.The module is in Generic mode, all other lights on it are ok and green. Any info on how to set the proper addressing to see the data in the PLC would be very helpful. I’m assuming it is an addressing issue?

Thank you.

Hello @cajmccormick,

Sorry for the late reply to this topic. I remember responding but I don’t see it here…

Anyway, LED 5 is going to give you the status of the subnework. Primarily only useful in master mode where we have a query and a response. We are not able to determine the status of the communication in generic mode and the device will show a red flashing led most if not all the time.

The log feature is showing you a log of all the traffic seen on the serial side. Both RX and TX data will be seen. This is not a representation of what data is being consumed and stored on the communicator.

As for an example to get you started i recommend taking at look at the following example using a ascii barcode scanner. This should be almost the same setup that you are looking to do with ascii in hyper-terminal. This example is done using a communicator, but the setup will be the same up until accessing the tags on the plc. The communicator does not have the studio 5000 AOP including the tag integration. For this you will need to just map Tags to the data on the linking device just as you have for the data you are producing.

Deryck

Hello @cajmccormick,

Here is a link to the video. I also combined both topics to help prevent further confusion.

Looking at your configuration it looks like you might not have it set up correctly. Start with this video and lets see if that helps you get you started consuming data.

https://www.anybus.com/docs/librariesprovider7/default-document-library/videos/hms-academy-instruction-video---generic-mode-and-a-barcode-scanner-microscan-ms820.wmv?sfvrsn=f1e6a9d6_14

Deryck

Deryck,

I have done many configurations, also have done the one in the video. I see all the data i am sending from hyper terminal in the log, it is all arbitrary at this point but it still does not explain why it is not being located to the tag in the PLC as it should be.

Hello @cajmccormick,

If that data is not getting consumed the data being received on the serial bus does not match the consume transaction. Looking again at the transaction and then the log it looks like you might be off by one. I see only 68 characters/bytes in the log but the consume is looking for 69. Try sending another character from hyper term or shorten the configuration to match what you do send.

Deryck

We have managed to configure the module and have been able to test as needed. Thank you.