Compact Com M40 EDS Generator RSLogix 5000 Version Compatibility

I am using the Compact Com M40 Ethernet module and I generated an EDS for my test program in RSLogix5000 v20. I was creating a new program on a new PLC that was v17 and after importing the EDS, it is not found in the add module tree. Is there a minimum version of RSLogix5000 that is required to use the EDS that is generated by the utility? If so, please point me to the documentation that states this

Hi Kevin,

I’ll look into this with some colleagues in Sweden to see what I can find for you.

-Tim

Hi Kevin,

I was talking with my colleauges about RSLogix5000 v20. This version begins support for EDS AOP extensions. All other previous versions do not support these extensions. This could potentially be the issue.

1756-pm002_-en-d[4740].pdf (5.6 MB)

That seems like it may be the issue then. What does HMS say to do for the M40 ethernet module that is connecting to a PLC below v20? Will a Generic Ethernet Module work? I have not seen any information on this

Thanks,

Kevin

If the PLC doesn’t support EDS files I think you might be able to set it up as a generic device

Is there any instruction for setting this up? There are some settings that aren’t obvious. For example, what is entered for the Input, Output, and Configuration Assembly Instance values? I assume the I/O size is based on the configuration of my M40

Typically the Input/Output assembly instance values are something that can be found in the EDS file for a device. For example here’s how we have ours setup for the compactcom:

Input is Originator => Target Assembly Instance 150
Output is Target => Originator Assembly Instance 100

As for what it would be for that device though, you’ll need to contact the manufacturer of the device for that information.

Also I received this information from a colleague in Sweden:

Those guys definitively should update, even if the present one seems to work. I have a colleague that ran into a bug with the EDS-based AOP when it appeared - one could not change the default I/O sizes from what the EDS said. If the file said 1 byte IN/OUT (as some of our files do) you were stuck with that unless you wanted to modify the file, but even then it would not work if you for instance had two ABS-EIP-using devices on the same network but with different I/O sizes

Okay I see. With regards to the comment from the colleague in Sweden, I don’t follow exactly. What are they saying we should update? It seems like the PLC version but just need to be clear.

In any case, I need to know whether I will have issues using the “Generic Ethernet Module” with older PLC versions. We are selling a device under the assumption it will be okay but must know if that’s not the case

Hi Kevin, I’ll verify with them if they mean updating the PLC, but I’m pretty sure that’s what they were referencing

Hi Kevin, here’s what I heard back:

It is the PLCs firmware he needs to update, and possibly also RSLogix and its local libraries + support files.

The ‘Generic Ethernet module’ should work with all revisions though, assuming of course that one gets the settings there right.

There shall be a chapter in the manual for all our EIP-speaking devices that lists the implemented CIP object and their contents, and the available assembly instances should be there.