Configure Using SD Card part 2

Continuing the discussion from Configure using SD Card:

Below are the steps that I am taking to try and configure a Flexy unit using an SD card. Still not having any luck getting this to work. The firmware updates but not the settings. Getting and error messages in the log file of wanmgt-WAN PPP connection disabled because dialout is disabled and pla-IP Config failed.

-format SD card with Fat32
-use ebuddy to move firmware to sd card
-backup existing working Flexy
-modify the tar file changed lan ip and name of unit
-put talk2m key and unit name in file
-move .tar to sd card with ebuddy
-put sd card in unit and power unit up
-usr light flashed red a few times
-used ebuddy to open browser on unit and firmware was updated but not settings
left unit powered up and it rebooted by itself a few times still no updating settings
-pulled sd card unit rebooted
-after bootup connect to the unit found settings not changed.
-log file shows unit sees sd card and loaded firmware
-with unit running put in sd card
-unit sees sd card and loads .edf file but not backup.tar
-pull sd card unit reboots
-connect to unit through ebuddy found setting not changed.

@tedsch

Does the LED ever go to a solid red or green LED?

Are there any messages in the event logs?

LED flashes red like it is processing then turns to solid green as if it is complete.

Getting error messages in the log file of wanmgt-WAN PPP connection disabled because dialout is disabled and pla-IP Config failed.

@tedsch

If you skip putting the firmware on there and only put on the backup, what is the result?

It seems to work if only the backup.tar file is on the sd card. Sometimes I need to put the SD card in multiple times to get the settings to take.

@tedsch

Let me see if I can replicate this. It should be able to work with all of those files pre-loaded.

So I think I have it narrowed down as to why the settings do not stick the first time the SD card is inserted with the backup.tar file on it. this is due to the changing of the storage parameters. The storage size gets set and then the SD needs to be pulled so the unit will reboot. After the reboot the SD card is inserted again and then the other settings get changed.
So I am using one SD card for the firmware and one SD card for the back.tar file.

Can you tell me what I need to do to get a user setup using the config.txt file? What is the hash for the password?

@tedsch

The size setting would absolutely explain the unconfigured settings. When you update the partitions in the eWON you are going to end up formatting the unit in the process. That would explain the loss of settings.

I’ll see if I can find a workaround there.

As for the users, you can store the users in plaintext and when ported into the eWON the pw will be automatically hashed however I cannot disclose the specific hash at this time per our Belgian office.

bump

As long as the password is hashed then I am ok with that.

There is no need to find a work around as we will just insert the SD card twice to get the settings to stick.

Can you tell me what the comfg settings that are related to the setup of the Verizon modem? Currently we are loading all the settings and then logging into the Flexy to run the Internet Wizard and would like to complete that with the SD card as well.

@tedsch

You would need to set a few settings to enable the VZW modem. There is only 1 parameter that will specifically control its ability to link to the tower however all of the below should be taken into account.

pdpapn - The cellular apn provided by the carrier
wancnx - Set to 1 for cellular
wanpermcnx - Sets maintained or triggered connection (use a 1 for maintained)

Those three are the only super important ones but you can review the comcfg.txt writeup for all potential GSM options.

COMCFG.TXT Documentation: Link