Connecting a Flexy through a Proxy

Hi,

I would like to have support for connecting a Flexy through a proxy.

I looked online for documentation and I just saw some flashes of information.
Do you have something for me?

Please advice,

PS: If we can connect to show me how, i would appreciate :slight_smile:

Thanks,

@Jcadorette

You can set the proxy information in your eWON Flexy while you setup your device for remote access.
As you go through the wizards (Configuration / Wizards) , you will eventually reach the Talk2M wizard.

Talk2M Wizard

1. Register the hardware with your chosen registration method (eWON Name, Activation Key, Validation) and select the nextbutton button.

2. On the very next page you will see the option to Connect via HTTP proxy

3. Enable the connect via HTTP proxy checkbox and input the proxy information provided by the IT department.

Username and password may not be required depending on the network's proxy settings

4. Click the Next Button at the bottom right image to start the Talk2M connection and configuration test

If the test VPN connection step passes (last step) then your device should appear online in eCatcher and you should be all set!

Ok we are still not able to set it properly.

This is the actual settings and error code we have.

Communication menu

error codes:

@Jcadorette

If your customer is using a proxy for their WAN then you do not need to fill out the proxy configuration table. You will only need to input the proxy credentials in the Talk2M wizard located in the last screenshot you provided.

I would disable Entry 1 in your configuration table and then go through the Talk2M wizard once again and input the proxy credentials there. If you are still not passing the talk2m wizard AFTER entering your proxy credentials then I would confirm the credentials are correct with your IT department and ensure that the eWON is getting a valid WAN connection.

@Jcadorette

The proxying configuration you are showing in your first image is actually a completely different purpose.

Proxy Configuration Menu

This proxy menu actually equates almost to a port forwarding menu. Here we can specify the ports we would like to forward and to what devices. If we actually do a line by line breakdown:

Item Use Description
Protocol Changing the communcation protocol. The protocol option allows for selecting the communication protocol we should be using. It only allows for selecting UDP or TCP.
Direction Setting the forwarding direction in reference to the EXT Interface This option specifies which direction the traffic should go. The EXT interface (defined at the top) specifies the network interface on the eWON to use. If we say LAN to EXT it could mean LAN to WAN etc.
Incoming/Destination Port Specify the port to forward Specifies the exact port to forward across. The incoming port is the port to have on the EXT interface. The destination is what port should the LAN device receive.
Destination IP Address Where to send the data What IP address on the LAN should we send the data to. This is usually going to be a LAN device

Now in your 2nd and 3rd images, I see a few different issues.

1. You are not getting a DHCP address. Are you passing on the internet setup wizard?
  2. You have specified to connect via a PROXY however you have not specified the proxy in this screen. You must move your proxy server declaration to this screen.
1 Like

Right now we fail the internet setup wizard.

And for the 3rd image we tried to enter proxy IP after but we don’t have a dhcp yet…

I just saw that firmware of unit (4005CD) is at 9.0s0

Does the 4005CD is able to connect through proxy?
Does the 4005 can go to latest firmware version?

Thanks,

@Jcadorette

The 4005CD is able to connect through a proxy just like the flexy.
The latest firmware version for an eWON CD is 11.2s1.

Based off your feedback and your error logs, it appears the root cause of your issue is related to your WAN connection. We will not be able to test your proxy credentials until we actually get a valid WAN connection.

How long is the Ethernet cable from the internet port until the nearest switch?
Are you able to access the internet using the same cable the eWON is using but on a PC?

we are actually testing this last question.

Apparently, they don’t have internet on the laptop but Skype is online. Probably because it’s through a proxy server?

On the WAN connector, there is no activity and no link at all.

@Jcadorette

If skype is working then you are definitely getting a WAN connection.

Can you try putting a switch before the WAN connection?
Wall or router ----> Switch ----> eWON WAN port

The eWON CD will not auto negotiate and putting a switch before the WAN port will remove the possibility of this being an auto negotiation issue.

Hi Joe,

Remember that issue. Looks like the customer is up again with the issue. Right now we do have WAN with success.

We did talk 2m registration and entered proxy credentials. This is what we get when testing connection through proxy: image

What do you suggest to make it trustable?

Thanks,

@Jcadorette

Can you confirm the date/time is correct on the eWON device?

You can find the date in system setup / communication / general / date & time

This issue was resolved by fixing the customers onsite network proxy. The IT department had to configure things correctly.