Connecting eWON Flexy 200 with WAN card to a Cradlepoint gateway with Verizon service

I recently had to replace the Flexy modem card for a more robust cellular connection. Everything worked fine since we’ve had the eWONs and the modems up and running. The problem was that in some areas, we were not getting adequate cellular coverage, so we had to do something. Our customer is Norfolk Southern Railroad, so they rely heavily on uptime.

Once the Cradlepoint IBR600B units were installed, talk2m setup went smoothly and everything was up and running as expected for about six days. We received a call that the users couldn’t connect to the HMI so I logged in and it seemed almost like it was a dial up connection. The eCatcher shows all units as being online, and they will make the VPN connection most of the time, but when the HMI web page tries to load, it either times out, or loads basic text html and not the entire page loads either. Any suggestions (other than go back to the modem card!)?
Thanks!
Klaus

Hi Klaus,

Where are the Flexy’s located physically (Virginia?) and where are the primary remote users located?

Have you checked to see if they are any better today?

Thank you,

Kye

slow connection with cradlepoint gateway - not fast enough to be functional

Kyle,

We’re still having the sane issues this morning. I’m headed to the site now.

We have two in Ohio and one in Indiana

Thanks!

Klaus

Klaus Buchberger

Connected Controls Inc.

President / CEO / Engineering

Oconomowoc, WI 53066-0411

262-468-3039 direct

262-391-6420 mobile

800-597-5008 toll free

Kyle,

So two of the sites are in the rail yard in Bellevue, OH. The users are in the same rail yard. The other site is in a rail yard in Elkhart, IN. These users are also in the same rail yard.

Klaus Buchberger

Connected Controls Inc.

262-468-3039 direct

262-391-6420 mobile

800-597-5008 toll free

Kyle,

Here is the email trail so far to get you up to speed

attachment 1.rtfd (199 KB)

ATT00001.htm (6.06 KB)

Did you get my emails?

Klaus Buchberger

Connected Controls Inc.

262-468-3039 direct

262-391-6420 mobile

800-597-5008 toll free

Here’s an update after testing the gateway and eWON in various configurations.

Last week we installed three Cradlepoint gateway modems into two different rail yards for Norfolk Southern Railroad. The eWONs successfully connected and everything was working great – for a week. This past Thursday – over a week later – the eWONs with the Cradlepoint gateways all saw extremely slow to no connectivity, to the point where the connection was useless.

I connected the Cradlepoint and an eWON in my shop yesterday and observed the same results.

While the eWON is connected to the Cradlepoint, it is able to get an online connection during local setup, but when logging in through the eWON’s VPN cloud system, talk2m, the connection is painstakingly slow and typically times out or hangs, and once in a great while begins to load data from the page, but then nothing. This type of connectivity is not allowing our customers to do their job, which is move freight trains, and this is their busy time of year.

I connected the Cradlepoint to my laptop and was able to stream YouTube and consistently achieve a 10Mbps download speed and about 8Mbps upload on Speedtest. Once I connected it back to the eWON, I get the same slow connection when connecting through the VPN connection.

Lastly, I connected the eWON to my network and had no issues with VPN access.

Here’s an illustration and brief description of how the VPN works with the eWON and it’s clients as well as a brief description of the ports used.

Klaus,

I am sorry, Ive just got caught up on your emails. We do have a server that is running very slowly so we’ve been working on that. It could be related to your issue. If I could get the serial numbers of the devices, I can check and we can start to get those fixed for you.

Kyle

Kyle,

The serial numbers of the three eWON units are:

1718-0400-21

1516-0037-21

1733-0195-21

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks!

Klaus

Klaus,

The first one has been migrated so let us know if that fixed the problem. Thank you sir!

Kyle

Logo
Logo
Logo

Voice Message

+12623916420-1217-123604-399.mp3 (209 KB)

Kyle,

Could you try migrating 1516-0037-21 as soon as you get a chance.

Thanks!

Klaus

Thanks!

Klaus

Topic closed due to inactivity.