Connecting to a Cognex Camera

Hi,

I have setup an eWon 2005cd at a customer facility and have successfully been able to connect to the PLC. I am trying to connect to a Cognex Camera. I have gone and changed the “plug n’ route” to “NAT and TF disabled” as recomended and I have added a remote

(cameraIP, subnet, and the eWon LAN for the gateway) in Cognex Insight Explorer. The camera does not show up in the network tree. When I open up RSLinx Classic the cameras do not show up as active in the Ethernet tree. Do I have to go and change the camera network setup, if so I would have to go back to the customer facility?

Also when I open up Insight Explorer I get kicked off of the PLC, which indicates to me that something is conflicting.

Thanks for you help,

Hello @R.Samp,

Is this going though eCatcher/ the VPN tunnel? RSLinks works by sending out a broadcast ARP request message that dos no go over the VPN connection. With our newer devices running newer firmware we have implemented a feature to forward these request. To use RSlinx you would need to add the devices IP to the Ethernet connection.

Where did you receive the recommendation to disable plug n’ route and use NAT and TF disabled? If you have plug n’ route disabled you will need to make sure that you have the ewon set as the gateway.

Regards,
Deryck

Deryck,

Yes I am using ecatcher to create a VPN tunnel. I have the cameras set up in RsLinx (172.16.30.5 & 172.16.30.6) the one thing that I have not been able to go and do is set the gateway to the eWon LAN, this is because they have not been found.

Did the picture I have attached not show up in the support request? It shows RsLinx, the eWon web page, Cognex, and eCathcer.

When I was trying to set his up I was reaching out to our HMS contact Andrew Seymore.

Sincerely,

Riley Sampson
Service Technician

Deryck,

I have gone and changed it back to “Plug’n Route” and in RsLinx I can now see the cameras.

Sincerely,

Riley Sampson
Service Technician

@R.Samp,

Glad to hear this resolved the issue.

Deryck

Deryck,

Even though I can see the cameras in RsLinx, I still cannot connect to them. I have tried using the Remote Subnet and Host Table: http://help.cognex.com/Content/KB_Topics/In-Sight/UI_In-SightExplorer/3994.htm. Do I need to add it to these special groups to see it in the network tree, or should it appear without having to set his up?

Difference Between the Remote Subnets and Host Table?http://help.cognex.com/Content/KB_Topics/In-Sight/UI_In-SightExplorer/3994.htm
help.cognex.com
Full Description. I would like to communicate with an In-Sight vision system that is not in the same sub-network as my PC, but I’m not sure whether I should use the …

@R.Samp,

eCatcher is adding a route to your PC putting it on the same network as the eWons LAN. You should not need to make adjustments to the camera telling it that your PC is in a different subnet. The connection would be similar to if you were on the local network and your PC had a static IP in the same range.

Once you connect to the eWon are you able to ping the devices? Do the cameras have web pages that you can view and are you able to view them?

Deryck

Deryck,

To verify I need to have my PC LAN port in the same address scheme as the device?

Sincerely,

Riley

@R.Samp,

No, we are adding a route to your pc to the remote network. This is telling the programs in your pc that they can get to that subnet though the tap adapter/VPN tunnel. This will seem to your programs that you are plugged in locally with an IP in the same range.

Deryck

Deryck,

I have my PC LAN set to DHCP and can ping the PLC and the Cameras. They do not have a web page, but when I tried to go to the camera page it came up in Cognex color scheme saying “No HTML page found”

[cid:image001.png@01D39A83.AFE9E150]

Sincerely,

Riley Sampson
Service Technician

Deryck,

This is what I am getting when I go to the Add Sensor Page. This is why I was trying to add remote subnets and hots tables.

Sincerely,

Riley Sampson
Service Technician

It sounds like the VPN tunnel is working correctly. My guess is the discovery feature in that program uses broadcast messages which do not make it though the VPN tunnel. Do you have an option to add devices using the IP address?

Deryck

Deryck,

It does not appear, I will have to check in with Cognex about this.

Thanks for your help, if I have any more questions after I contact Cognex I will let you know.

Sincerly,

Deryck,

Sorry I have not touched base earlier, but we had a customer that was having issues and my time was dedicated to solving that.

I have setup an eWon Cosy and a IS5100 (Revision: 4.050) and a ISM1100 (Revision: 4.050), I added it to the System Host Table and had a successful connections.
We have the eWon connected to our guest wifi and my laptop is connected to our company network.

The eWon in the field is a 2005CD and the Cameras are IS5403 (Revision: 3.040) and IS5000 series (Revision 3.030)

Could the issue be a Coms Revision / Firmware, does not allow this? Or are there differences in the out of the box settings of the Cosy and the CD?

Sincerely,

I have just had the same problem and have spent the entire afternoon trying to solve it. I just discovered it was the firewall on my host machine that was blocking something. Current configuration that works without re-enabling anything since trying to get it to work:

eWon:

• Plug N Route enabled (NatItf = 3)

Host machine:

• Firewall all the way off (I have not yet tried adding rules for eCatcher)

Virtual machine:

• Firewall all the way off
  • RSLinx closed (including the service)
  • In-Sight: System\Remote Subnets: Added 1 camera details to this and suddenly all cameras on the network showed up in the tree.
1 Like

Hi Paul,

Thanks for posting, you might have PLC discovery enabled this is a newer feature that allows broadcast messages to get passed though the VPN. Typically broadcast messages are blocked from passing though a VPN network. https://websupport.ewon.biz/sites/default/files/aug-070-0-en-plc_discovery_through_talk2m.pdf