Cosy 131 can't upgrade firmware from 8.2s1 from eBuddy or manually

I’ve read the other answers on here with similar issues to mine but have not been able to resolve my issue. I have a Cosy 131 with firmware version 8.2s1. The unit works fine but I would like to update the firmware to the latest version. I have an isolated network with my computer (Static IP 192.168.2.199) connected with a patch cable to an Ethernet switch and the Cosy 131 (Static IP 192.168.2.254) also connected to the same switch. Nothing else is connected to the switch.

I tried the eWon Recovery from eBuddy (version 12.3 Build 25984) but I get to the step where you hold the reset button while cycling power and then release when this message dissappears. It says “eWon recovery mode started” so I release the reset button as instructed. A few seconds later the message changes to “Recovery procedure failed”. I have tried with every major firmware version from 9 to 14 with the same results every time. I have also reset the Cosy to factory defaults and have the same results. I’ve tried doing it before even setting an IP address and I’ve tried after going through the entire configuration (wizards).

I moved on to try and do it through FTP as was suggested in the “General Upgrade and Recovery Guide”. I went to the manual firmware download page and selected Pcode 22 (my Cosy serial # is 1514-0116-22) and Revision 9_0s0, lanuage ma, and Filename for FTP upgrade and downloaded the resulting file named ewonfwr.edf. I used Windows explorer and entered FTP://192.168.2.254 which is the IP address of my Cosy. It prompts for a password and I enter the default user adm and password adm. A new window opens with what appears to be the files on the eWon. I attempt to copy the file I downloaded (ewonfwr.edf) into this location and I’m prompted “This folder already contains a file called ewonfwr.edf” and I select “Yes” to replace the file. I then get an error “An error occurred copying a file to the FTP Server. Make sure you have permission to put files on the server. Details: The connection with the server was reset.”. I’m not sure what else to use here other than adm and adm for user and password. As a test I copied the downloaded firmware file to the ftp server “usr” directory and that worked fine.

Can someone please suggest what I can try next? Thanks.

Hi @RSTechRob,

This will need to be done through the recovery procedure. When you were performing the recovery, did you have a 10/100 switch in between the device and your computer?

-Tim

Hi Tim,
I did attempt the recovery procedure using a 10/100/1000 switch. Is that a problem; do I need a 10/100 switch? I might have a 10/100 laying around.

If it’s a managed switch that you can force to stay at 10/100 that’s ok, but if the switch is going to gigabit, then that will cause issues.

It is an unmanaged switch but to be sure it isn’t a factor I just tried a different unmanaged switch. It is a 10/100 switch. Same results, “Recovery procedure failed”.

Unfortunately, if it’s not working with the recovery, we don’t have another method to try because the SD card upgrade requires you to be on FW 11.0 at a minimum. The only other thing we could recommend would be to try upgrading it using a recovery with the switch on a different PC to see if that makes a difference

I tried another PC with the same result. I guess I will have to use it as is with the original version 8 firmware. Thanks for your replies.

If you have purchased the device in the last 3 years you could also go through with an RMA