Hello,

My company typically uses eWon for all of our out of state/country equipment
in order to remotely access software. We have recently shipped our first
assembly line to China, and included a cosy 131 for remote access. Now that
the equipment is in China however, we are having issues remotely accessing
it.

Our issues are as follows:

1. The connection speed is very slow, even when using Chinese servers and
    accessing it from within China. I was warned about this but was wondering if
    there are any fixes you guys can recommend.
  2. After being connected to our PLC for a little while, the connection
    between the gateway and the PLC drops out. We can still talk to the gateway
    from the USA, but cannot talk to anything physically connected to the gateway
    in China unless we unplug/replug the ethernet connection.

Hardware-wise, we are connecting the Cosy 131 to a L85 CompactLogix PLC
through a Moxa EDR series router. I am not in the office right now, but when I get there I have a backup of the unit I can paste into here if that helps.

Thank you!

Jon A.

Hello Jon!
Would it be possible for you to upload a backup of your eWON to this thread?
You can simply drag and drop the .TAR into the text editor. I would like to review
how exactly your eWON is configured.

Hi Jose,

backup.zip (23.0 KB)

I think this should be it.

Jon,
This definitely appears to be something stability related more than latency related.
Can you provide me a login to your hardware? You can send me a private message
by clicking my username and selecting message. That will keep this private. Additionally
if you could provide a phone number so I can give you a call to chat.

How to send a private message:

Jon,
Thank you for providing that information. I have made a change to this hardware that I think will help quite a bit. I am going to wait for your software engineer to come online and I will test with him then.

Thanks Jose! We logged in just now and played around for about 2 hours without the connection dropping out on us. We will probably try a little bit tomorrow just to confirm. Is there tweaks we could do to improve the speed, or is that what you were waiting to test out with Bryan?

Excellent! Glad it is more stable.
As I was testing things on my end, the speeds were pretty reasonable. I was averaging 180-200ms per ping response. This unit is installed in China so there is only so much we can do to really speed it up. Inherently it will not be at the same speed as a direct or local connection.

I can attempt to take a look with your programmer however I cannot say just how much faster I can make it.

Hi Jose,

I’m sorry to say that our initial success was short lived. We tried last night to verify that the unit was working by remotely accessing our PLC, but it appears we are back to the same issue. After 30 minutes to 1 hour, we can’t connect to our PLC from the gateway and must unplug/replug the network cable to get comms back.

@jja127

Am I still good to log in with the previous credentials? Additionally, anyone available to troubleshoot this live with me?

The same credentials will work. I am working on trying to find someone to help you troubleshoot, it is somewhat difficult since they are 15 hours ahead of us in China. Are you specifically looking for someone on the other end in China, or will one of our software engineers in the USA be sufficient?

@jja127

A US engineer should be more than sufficient as they are the ones experiencing the issues.

Sounds good, I have our main programmer for our China system available at 12:30pm our time. It is currently noon for us here in AZ. Do you have a phone number I can have him call, or I can message you his cell.

@jja127

I have sent you a private message.

I have been online with the PLC since 1:00pm and it has not disconnected. I can also confirm that once the PLC made it online and finished with establishing network connection (took about 20mins) I was able to work on the PLC and make modifications, so this is already a huge improvement from before.

1 Like

@bdecelles
Excellent!
Please continue to test this into tomorrow. I will see if I can find a way to speed up the inital online
connection as well.

To close the loop on this thread, the unit was on an incorrect server. Additionally chaning the eCatcher from UDP to tcp helped stabilize the connection as well.