Cosy 131 - PLC sending emails via Cosy 131

I just installed a new Cosy 131 at a customer site. I am using the Cosy to connect to Allen-Bradley PLC’s. I would like the PLC’s to generate an email that will pass through the Cosy. Is this possible?

Hi,

Yes this is possible. You will have to give devices internet access outside fo teh VPN tunnel to do so though. Here is a document of teh settings that need to be changed in the COM cfg located under setup > System > Storage on the Cosy’s configuration page.

Thank you for the information on the setting changes needed. I am trying to understand two things concerning getting the PLC to ultimately trigger emails to be sent out on the WAN.

Thank you for the information on the setting changes needed. I am trying to understand two things concerning getting the PLC to ultimately trigger emails to be sent out on the WAN.

1. When you say we will need to give devices internet access outside of the VPN tunnel:

2. Can the LAN devices potentially cause traffic on the factory’s WAN?

3. Do I need to build a NAT table for each device that needs have internet access?

4. Are there security risks in allowing the LAN devices to have internet access i.e. security issues with others on the internet being able to directly access the LAN devices? I would assume not but need to be sure.

5. Triggering Emails – Do you have a document that would help me understand how to trigger emails from my PLC?

Question on the Flexy product line in doing what we want to do. Are there advantages to using the Flexy for this type of requirement and if so what part numbers would I need?

Larry

For the PLC to send out emails you will need to give LAN devices internet which opens them to the internet directly and bypasses the security of the Cosy (by default LAN devices do not have internet access and the only way to access them would be through the vpn).

1. The device will cause traffic on the WAN by the fact you are using it for internet access. LAN devices cannot access WAN devices if that is your question though.

2. Giving LAN devices internet does not require NAT 1:1. That is only used when a LAN device need to be access by something on the WAN side of the network.

3. You are opening the LAN to the internet so yes. When you allow traffic outside the VPN tunnel then the cosy is just passing the traffic though. Security would rely on your network and firewall then sicne you bypass the Cosy security to do this.

5.We do not have a document on how a PLC can send an email out.

If you had a Flexy though you can have the Flexy read the tags off the Allen Bradley PLC and set an alarm state for the Flexy to send an email and will not need to give LAN devices internet access. It also allows logging of the tags and other options.

For the cosy it is limited to the digital input to have it end an email instead of opening internet. This is limited though. If it is powered ,between 10VDC and 24 VDC, it can send an email of which you need to write the description of. This can be set in teh DI config part of the wizard.

This file doesn’t open and giving below error:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

BlobNotFound

The specified blob does not exist. RequestId:9116a92c-001e-0081-4f55-db17a3000000 Time:2023-08-30T15:23:52.2382633Z

Thanks for reporting this issue. I have updated the link in the post. For your convenience, here is the updated link: https://hmsnetworks.blob.core.windows.net/www/docs/librariesprovider10/downloads-monitored/manuals/knowledge-base/kb-0069-00-en-access-internet-via-ewon-beside-talk2m-vpn.pdf?sfvrsn=38c156d7_8

Thanks