Cosy 131 refuses to connect to eFive VPN

We are working on a municipal project here with an eFive 25 and 8 Cosy 131 VPN routers connected from around the town. Right now we are at the final testing/programming phase and we are all set up in our shop simulating as close to possible as the field. This is the first I have used an eFive but we probably have about 15 - 20 Cosy 131/141 units out in the field at this point so I am pretty familiar with them.

Yesterday I was working on completing my VPN setup from all the Cosy 131 units and my last one will not take my VPN configuration no mater what I try. I have used the same procedure on all previous 7 Cosy 131 units and they worked flawlessly. I pulled out a spare Cosy 131 unit that we need to provide as a spare and went through the same procedure using the same data as before with everything else in place (wiring & ethernet cable) and it worked flawlessly as well.

This is the procedure I have used to configure these:

• Update firmware to 13.1s0 and set IP using eBuddy.
  • Log into the 131 and run the “System” wizard to change the eWon name and PW.
  • Connect through FTP and upload the correct “comcfg.txt” for the eFive connection.
  • Go back to the 131 and remove extra characters (¶) from the VPNCACert value uploaded in Setup > System > Storage > Edit COM cfg. (Not sure why this happens but I’ve had to do it for every 131 unit to make the connection work.)
  • Enable 1:1 NAT over VPN for a PLC and an HMI in Setup > System > Communication > Routing.
  • Reboot the Cosy 131 and it should connect - but this one doesn’t.

So with this problematic one on the summary page I have the following:

• Internet Connection > Internet status: Configuration is incomplete
  • VPN Connection > Status: Configuration is incomplete

What is really strange is that I was receiving errors about the VPN in both the Event Logs and Realtime logs at one point but I can’t remember the language of those messages. Now however the only thing in both of my logs are this:

• System Booting, FWR: 13.1s0 (13.1), SN: --** [EF0000] (Event Log)
  • USB port(s) powered on (Realtime Log)
    That’s it. There is nothing else logged at all in this thing in either log under any category. All my other Cosy 131 units are logging all kinds of things.

I have done a few Level 2 resets to this Cosy 131 unit but I have not been able to get anywhere with this unit connecting to the eFive VPN. It will however connect just fine to the Talk2M VPN. I tested that configuration and was able to connect to it with eCatcher without a problem. I don’t know what to do with this unit at this point.

Any help or direction to look at would be appreciated.

Hello,

Can you give me the serial number of this device?

One thing we can try with this is to update the firmware to the 13.2 revision. We could also try and take a backup of one of the working devices and restore it onto the device having issues.

-Tim

The SN for the problematic unit is 1817-0827-22.

I just now tried another Level 2 reset, set up a new VPN account in the eFive using another IP slightly outside of what I have been working with and still nothing. Also still nothing being reported in the Event or Realtime logs regarding VPN.

Were you able to take a backup of one of the working devices and try restoring it onto this device?

So I just tried the 13.2 firmware and got the same results. I also did a backup of a configured working 131 unit and restored it but then the problematic 131 unit now seems inaccessible. Maybe an issue backing up from firmware 13.1 and restoring to 13.2?

I tried upgrading to firmware 13.2 and had the same results of no internet connection or VPN connection.

I did a backup of a working and configured 131 unit and restored it to the problematic unit and now the problematic unit seems to be inaccessible. eBuddy can see it but I can’t ping it or connect to it over http or ftp. Maybe a problem backing up from firmware 13.1 and restoring to 13.2? I can’t say I have ever had to do a restore before but seemed like it went fine.

I’m done with my testing for today but will pick back up on Monday.

Hello,

Is there any way I can take a look at this issue through teamviewer with you to try and debug this? Or can you give me a call at 312 893 5636 when you’re free?

-Tim

We should be able to do either. Let me get into my day a bit here and I will reach out to you later today by phone if possible.

Ok, I have one call setup right now for 11AM EST, but I should be free later on in the day

Hi Joshua,

Just writing an update from are phone call that the spare cosy is now up and running correctly now. Let us know if you have anymore questions.

-Zach