Device Name & IP address customization through Profinet Master Simulator

Hello,
We are having HMS Anybys Brick 40 Slave Module & using in application.
We have requirement where we can modify the device name & IP address of the selected slave through Profinet Master Simulator.
This changed/updated name can be used by Host Application for further information.
How it can be done, how to access the Brick 40 addresses by the application.?
Please support.
Thank you!

regards,
Girish Mane

Hello,

The information for this was found in the following manual:

Pg 264/278

It looks like the IP address and station name of the device can be set here

Hello Tim,
Thanks for your information.

However, is it possible to set IP address, Device Station names without GSD file update?

The reason is end user, doesn’t update GSD file but they might use Master Profinet devices such as Profinet Master Simulator or PLC or any other devices.
So, we need to provide facility where end user can update or customize IP address & Device Name & same would be read by Host Application where Profinet Slave device is connected.

Please let us know your response.

Thanks a lot for your support…!!!

regards,
Girish Mane.

Hi Girish,

I’m going to send a message to some colleagues in Sweden and see what I can find out for you

Dear Tim,
Thanks for your help.

I am bit close to what we are implementing.Host application is able to read IP address configured in Profinet Master Simulator. But, not yet “Device Name”.
Please find the attached snap for reference. Where IP address is being read by host application & copy to local data structure from etn_obj.c file.

Profinet%20Master%20Simuator%20_NAMECHANGE

Thank you!

regards,
Girish Mane

Hi Girish,

Here’s what I heard from my colleague in Sweden:

If the host application needs to change the IP settings, it is done through the Network Configuration object (04h). In Profinet there is usually not a need for the host application to do this because in most case4s the Profinet Master/PLC set’s the IP address. If you want to implement this functionality it’s important that you do not save a local copy of the IP settings because it can be changed from another tool, and then the new value is the valid one.

The rule is: Only write to the IP settings when it really needs to be changed (do not write at every startup), and only read IP settings if it needs to be displayed somewhere. If the host application only needs to display the IP settings somewhere (e.g. on an LCD display), it is more convenient to use attribute 16 of the Ethernet Host Object (F9h). This attribute is written to the host application every time the IP settings change.

Regarding the Sation Name/Device Name, he strongly recommends not to change this with the host application. This is the parameter that identifies a Profinet slave on the network. It is something the end user programs when the set up the Profinet network via a commissioning tool, and it is only needed on the network. If you want to display the current device name somewhere that can be read, this can be done with attribute 20 in the Network Configuration Object (04h).

The GSD file should have nothing to do with either the IP or Device name

Hello Tim,

Thanks a lot for your input’s.

However, I am already connected with your technical team through telephone.

Thank you…!!!

Regards,

Girish Mane.

Hi Girish,

Ok sounds good, let us know if you still have issues after the phone call

Topic closed due to inactivity.