Different Subnets

Hi HMS Support,

Im working with two PLCs on different LAN subnets and trying to remote access each of the PLCs.

192.168.120.20 - PLC 1 LAN
192.168.120.53 - Cosy 131 LAN
10.0.0.55 - PLC 2 LAN

Is the best way to do this, by changing the Cosy’s IP address to each subnet as required?

will eCatcher be able to follow the Cosy’s LAN IP address as it changes? Can HMS support recover a device if eCatcher is unable to connect to it after a IP change?

I was trying to find a way to translate or forward PLC2’s address onto the same subnet as PLC1, but it doesn’t seem the Cosy has this capability. could another router fix this problem (routing traffic between subnets).

Thanks

Hello @m_ross,

I would not recommend a LAN with multiple subnets set up. If this is the case though yes you will need to change the eWons LAN IP and then make sure the LAN set in eCatcher matches. If there is an issue with the LAN but the device is still online you can still connect to the ewon itself by using the VPN IP address shown in the active connection.

I would recommend the second plc be placed in the same subnet of the ewon.

Deryck

Hi Deryck,

I think I was told this a while back, but I’m unsure if I remember correctly:

Hello m_ross,

If the device is still online then you will still have access to the device though eCatcher via the VPN IP address this can be seen in the active connection.

If the device is offline in eCatcher the device will need to be recovered locally. This would only happen if you force a LAN IP that conflicts with the WAN preventing it from getting an address from the DHCP server.

Deryck