DNS name resolution for WAN setting

In order to get my device to talk to the M2M network, i need to setup firewall rules. I would like to utilize a DNS name for that. How can I set the DNS name for the device on the WAN side?

Hi John,

I’m checking in with some colleagues in Belgium to verify if this is possible or not.

Thanks,
Tim

Thanks! Does my question make sense? My network and security guys are getting really confused. There is two different IP’s that can be set correct. One for the webpage setup and one for the WAN that connects to the outside world. My issue is that my firewall is blocking the device from communicating to the cloud service. I have figured out the necessary firewall rules but right now I have to setup those by IP. I would like to be able to just set those up by a host name. The main complexity is that I have 30 plants and each plant has a different set of IP ranges that are supplied by DHCP. How can I even see the IP that is set for the WAN side? I don’t see it in the webpage setup stuff.

Here’s a list of the ports and protocols that the eWON will need access to.

In order to see the WAN ip address of a cosy, that can be found on the devices webpage on the summary screen. It should be under the Internet connection corner of the screen.

Thanks, yes, we have figured out the ports. Is there a way that I can talk to you on the phone? Trying to understand this over the forum is hard.

John

Hi John,

You can reach me at 312 893 5636

-Tim

Hi John,

I’m talking with a couple of people from Belgium about the DNS question and they said it is possible to set up a DNS name on the Flexy but they’ll need some time to create a text file that will make this work. However, it is also possible to set the name of the device through a DNS server.

-Tim

Thanks Tim,

We are trying to standardize on the EWON devices for remote equipment access in our company. As a result, we need to come up with the easiest way in order for users to be able to setup and utilize the devices. At this point, the firewall rules are complicated and my network team and security team is insisting that we try and utilize a name for these since when purchased, we will have no idea what the IP address will be. In addition, we would like to allow these devices to be utilized across any one of our plants and we would like the flexibility to change our IP address scheme without impacting hundreds of possible devices. Can you please request Belgium to provide a text file to accomplish this? Does my reasoning make sense?

John

Hi John,

We’ll need to have you update to the 13.1 Firmware Pre-release before you can change the DNS name on the Flexy. The process for how to do that is seen below:

For this one, we’ll need to go onto the devices FTP. so I need you to go to a file explorer and type in FTP://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where the x’s are the device IP address. then I need you to take this file and place it in that directory and reboot the device

ewonfwr.edf (8.1 MB)

After that, this document should help with setting up the DNS

DNS_eWON_stuff_for_13.1.pdf (186.5 KB)

As for the IP address question, by default the IP address of these devices should be 10.0.0.53 and you should be able to change the IP address of the device on eBuddy or on the device’s webpage.

I’m not really sure what you mean about being able to change your IP schemes though. Can you go into further detail on that?

-Tim

Hi Tim,

I am not sure that this is what we are looking for. This looks like I would have to hardcode in the IP address in the hosts file. With DHCP turned on, the IP address may change?? Am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks,

John

Hello Tim,

Just looking for any update that you might have on our DNS name request? We have paused additional purchases in order to confirm if we can get this enhancement.

Thanks,

John

Hi John

I just got in touch with Doug. He said he’s been trying to call you the last couple of days but hasn’t been able to reach you. I just gave him your email, so he should send something pretty soon.

-Tim

Hey John,

Just wanted to see if you got Doug’s email?

-Tim