Does the Bolt support BOOTP?

I have a laptop hard wired to the TCP/IP Ethernet interface of an IO device. The laptop is running custom software that responds to a BOOTP packet sent by the IO device at power up, assigning an IP address from a configured range in a particular subnet. The laptop has a static IP address within the same subnet. With the Bolt in place of the hard wired connection and a Bluetooth connection established with the laptop the IO device fails to connect to the network upon power up. The software running on the laptop that administers the IP address does not detect the IO device. I have not sniffed the connection but it appears that the BOOTP packet is not being relayed by the Bolt. I enabled DHCP Relay on the Bolt in the hopes that it would relay the BOOTP packet since DHCP is loosely based on BOOTP but that didn’t resolve the issue. Is there a configuration option I am missing to enable BOOTP relay or does the Bolt not support BOOTP?

Regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

I will need to look into the implementation used to relay the DHCP traffic. I think it was explicitly set up for DHCP traffic so BOOTP traffic might not be getting forwarded. Once I have more info from development I will update you.

Deryck

Hello Paul,

BOOTP is supported in DHCP-servers and both are using the same UDP port (67, 68) so the traffic should be forwarded. This was not something tested by the development to know for certain i would need to set up a test to know for sure. Let me know if this is necessary.

Deryck

Deryck,

Thank you for getting this information. So does this mean the DHCP Relay on the Bolt will forward BOOTP packets over the Bluetooth interface?

Regards,

Paul

This is correct it should be forwarding the BOOTP packets as well. I was just checking something on the latest firmware(1.5.3) release notes and it looks like it introduced a bug where the DHCP relay is not working with Bluetooth. image

If you are testing BOOTP on this version I would recommend downgrading to FW 1.3.9 https://www.anybus.com/support/file-doc-downloads/wireless-bolt/?ordercode=AWB2000

Best regards,
Deryck

Deryck,

Great find, thank you. I’ll downgrade the firmware. I won’t get to this until next week. I’ll provide feedback then.

Regards,

Paul

Sounds good.

While we don’t have a release data set yet, I know the developers are currently working on a SP3 release where I expect to see these bugs fixed.

Deryck

Deryck,

I attempted the firmware downgrade via the web interface of the bolt. It took an especially long time and then finished with a Red full progress bar. After that any attempt to connect to the Bolt through the web interface or Bluetooth failed. There is no link LED on the Ethernet jack when connected to the laptop. The Blue LED is on solid constantly. I attempted a Reset which didn’t help. I then attempted a recovery per your instructions here (Anybus Wireless Firmware failure). I get to the Firmware Download progress bar window but it just sits there with an empty progress bar. Every so often I see the link LED flash. The bolt doesn’t seem to be responding to any attempt at communication.

FirmwareRecoveryWithFirmwareManagerII-NoProgress

Do I have a bricked Bolt? Is there anything else I can try to recover from this condition?

Regards,

Paul

I wouldn’t jump to thinking it is hard bricked yet. Using this advanced recover tool to recover it into the FW 1.1.6 firmware. Make sure you follow the instructions closely the timing can be a bit tedious.

ADVANCED - Recovery Mode.zip (1.9 MB)

Thanks Deryck. I tried the recovery again starting with the bootloader changer. I am not even sure if the device is booting in Recovery mode. I do exactly as the instructions say. Is there a particular LED indication for Recovery Mode? Anyway, this time the progress bar moved to just about full. So it seemed like the firmware was loading but it stalled there. Even after an hour nothing changed.

FirmwareRecoveryWithFirmwareManagerII-AlmostFullProgress

Periodically the Bolt’s LEDs blink (Blue goes out while yellow comes on then back to Blue on and yellow off). It’s almost as if the device is caught in a reset loop because looking at the Network Connections I see the laptop’s network interface go disconnected when the LEDs blink. The interface goes back to “Unidentified network” after the blink. I’ll keep attempting the recovery process but is there anything else to try?

Regards,

Paul

Is that a screen shot of the bootloader downloading? Did it finish? If it did then it should be automatically booting into the bootloader. You should only need to write the firmware. Issue is that it will keep rebooting and you need to have the firmware manager catch it at the right time to start the tftp transfer.

A few things to check. Make sure you are directly connected to the Bolt with a static ip in the same range 192.168.0.X. You have 192.168.0.99 set as the IP address in Firmware manager II.

I also noticed that the send and receive data counters have not changed once in this stalled state.

FirmwareRecoveryWithFirmwareManagerII-LocalAreaConnectionStatus

Regards,

Paul

Can you take a wireshark when trying the update? We should be able to see the traffic.

Yes this is the downloading of the bootloader to the Bolt. No, the download continues to stay at this point of progression. As you’ll see in my post prior to this one the NIC does have an IP in the proper range.

Regards,

Paul

Can i take a look with you over the phone and a Teamviewer? 312-829-0601

Funny you should ask that. I am installing Wireshark as I type this. I’ll upload a capture of the recovery as soon as possible.

Regards,

Paul

Deryck,

In case you didn’t see it I wanted to let you know I sent you a packet capture via private message. I hope you have time to look it over. I didn’t see any packets coming from the Bolt. I am not able to troubleshoot this today. I’ll get back to it next week.

Regards,

Paul

I had missed the PM and i just responded. I do see TFTP traffic showing the bootloader was transferring. Assuming it finished you should just need to write the Firmware.

Deryck