eCatcher mobile app crashes

Hi. I just learned of the new eCatcher mobile app and downloaded it to my iPhone. It appeared to work well until I went to link to one of my machines. Upon choosing any of the machines listed it showed a prompt asking me if I should connect to the named eWon device under which they are all connected; as soon as the named eWon device is selected, the app crashes and immediately takes me to the phone home screen. I am able to remote in just fine using my PC; and can even remote in to the machines on the iPhone using the browser and the M2Web address. Was hoping for a more direct route with the use of the app, especially because having difficulty connecting to the Cmore (Automation Direct) HMI with the phone.

@electecho

Any chance you can provide me a temporary login via private message?

I just tested on my IPhone and had no issues getting connected.

Sure. Could you provide some instruction how that would be accomplished?

Absolutely.

Please send the account, username and password as seen here:

Okay. I made you up a separate user name for the account, but it appears that you won’t be able to remote into it unless you have full ‘admin’ privileges. If that is true, how do I provide that on a temporary-only basis?

Also, I’ve noticed that the app prompts the user to configure the iphone VPN settings, but nowhere did I see any instruction how to perform that (see img 5269). Is there a need to complete the VPN configuration section of the settings of the iphone in order for this app to work correctly? (see img 5271).

@electecho

You should select Allow at that screen each time it pops up. eCatcher Mobile requires that permission in order to create a vpn from your phone.

I’ve done that each time, but the result is the same. It then proceeds to prompt to Touch ID for “eCatcher” with a ‘Cancel’ option; after hitting ‘cancel’, it proceeds to the prompt screen shown in img 5267. If I then choose either the link to the eWon itself or any of the machines, it then brings up the prompt shown in img 5273; at this point the choice to ‘connect’ crashes the app every time.

You should select Allow at that screen each time it pops up. eCatcher Mobile requires that permission in order to create a vpn from your phone.

@electecho

Can you tell me what account this is? It appears you already have a connection running which is why eCatcher isn’t allowing you to connect. When you say crash, does it actually crash and force close the app or do you get an error?

Okay, Jordan. I was able to get it working after all, although I’m not entirely sure what was wrong. After I cancelled the other connection and tried again, I got the same result - crashed app. Then I ‘unsheathed’ my phone from its ‘protective armor’ (case) to expose the actual surface of the home button so I could try to use the fingerprint ID when prompted instead of cancelling the finger ID at that point (which is what I had been formerly doing). Oddly, from that point on it’s been working as it should without exception. Now I’m even able to operate it without the fingerprint ID by cancelling the prompt, so that I can reassemble my phone case (?!) It seemed like the app would not automatically activate the VPN structure of the phone until the fingerprint ID had been initially performed because before this the VPN section of the settings would always show ‘not connected’ whenever I would attempt to connect through the app. Now it automatically shows ‘connected’ in the VPN section of settings whenever I connect through the app (see pics). Also, I’m able to connect to the Automation Direct Cmore HMI panel just fine through their iphone app, so for any who are wondering if it can be done successfully, here’s proof. It’s a little tricky if the HMI screen saver is activated, but doable.

Good morning, Jordan. Was using my iphone app happily until yesterday when I upgraded our eWon to the latest firmware to mitigate the indiscriminate dropping offline for no apparent reason that we have been experiencing. The firmware upgrade went well - no issues; from 11.0 to 12.0 to 12.1 s2 incrementally as prompted. Now with 12.1, my eCatcher mobile app will attempt to connect, but instead of going from blue to orange to green (“connected”), it just hangs at the orange state (“connecting” - see pic). I rebooted the eWon already since the firmware upgrade and my PC eCatcher still connects to the eWon just fine. Question: Is the current version of mobile app compatible with the latest eWon firmware or does it need an upgrade of its own? or am I doing something wrong?

\Hanging]

@electecho

You should be able to use the existing app with no issues. I just tested again from my 8+ after doing a firmware update and faced no issues.

If you continue to let it sit does it ever connect or give an error message?

Okay. I was able to get it to work after rebooting the iphone.

Question: Do you have any experience to know if the mobile app ‘plays well’ with other VPN mobile apps? The reason I ask is it just occurred to me that I may have installed/configured Cisco’s AnyConnect app since I last used the mobile eCatcher app. I’m thinking there might have been a relationship with the Cisco app install. Since the eCatcher app is product specific, we have need of other VPN mobile apps for other remote connection venues.

Question: Do you know if more than one VPN app can be utilized at a time on the iphone or do you have any words of wisdom as to using more than one generally? Either way, it seems for now that all is well again.

eCatcher Mobile should would fine in conjunction with other mobile applications. Only one of those may be active at a time however. You will need to ensure that you only have 1 running at a time.

Alright. For everyone else who didn’t know, I just learned that there is a checkmark next to the active VPN app in the settings (see pic)

that behaves like a selector switch when you have more than one VPN app installed on your iphone. The checkmark has to be next to eCatcher VPN for it to connect. Just tap on the eCatcher label in the settings if the checkmark is otherwise to put it next to eCatcher.

@electecho

Excellent bit of information! Thank you for providing that feedback to the other users.