Ecatcher Phone #

Is the phone number in Ecatcher supposed to be the number assigned to the sim card? If so how do you change it? My local distributer did the initial setup and was less to be desired on quality and I am learning on the fly how to use this product and software. Wondering if this is why my SMS is not working

Can you share a screenshot of the field you’re talking about in eCatcher? There are a couple of places you might enter a phone number so I want to make sure we’re talking about the same thing.

Are you using a triggered connection with your Ewon? Usually Ewons use a permanent connection and always stay connected to Talk2M, but in some cases you might use a triggered connection, where a wake-up text is sent to the Ewon to tell it to come online and connect. This is a case where you would enter a phone number in eCatcher, and it would need to be the phone number assigned to the Ewon’s SIM card. However, this shouldn’t affect your ability to send SMS.

Can you tell us a little bit more about what you’re trying to do with SMS on your Ewon?

I might not be back at location till Monday but the number field I am talking about is when you first open ecatcher with the list of names of devices, maybe 1 or 2 cells over from sn#. My connection is permanent. My flexy is connected to a siemens s1200 for monitoring a water distribution plant, the main objective is to alarm on system psi, tank level, etc. I am able to send alarms via email and sms through the email function (xxxxxx@txtverizon or however its configured). I just dont like the jumbled information from the email to text function. Every time I try the sms I get errors in the event log. According to my verizon invoice sms is on my sim. Thanks and ill try to attach a screenshot and error for sms as soon as i can

Thank you for the additional information. I believe the column you’re referring to is associated with using a phone number to trigger the Ewon’s connection. If you’d like to, you can change the value by going into the Ewon’s properties, clicking Modify under the VPN section, and switching to triggered to enable the phone number field.

The best way to share the error messages you’re getting would be to share a backup with support files, which will give us access to both the logs and the configuration of the device. To do this, open eBuddy, select the Ewon device you’d like help with, and click “Backup/Restore”. Make sure to check “include support files”, then click through to create a backup.

If you don’t have it, you can download eBuddy here: Ewon Technical Support - All Downloads

I do have eBuddy installed, I’m going to try and make it by my location tomorrow, if i do and run the back/restore do I need to add here?

Yes, you can upload the backup here. It will be moved to a private staff note so only HMS employees can see your information in the backup. Remember to check “include support files” while capturing this, as this will include the logs for us to see.

FILE MOVED TO STAFF NOTE (926 KB)
I think I did this correctly, and I am going to verify that SMS is enabled on sim data plan

I think that is a good plan. I see a number of “sms-GSM protocol error (0)” messages in your logs, which we tend to see when there’s an issue with the device’s cellular plan such as not supporting SMS. Beyond that, I don’t see anything wrong with the device’s configuration.