EN2PB-R Scanner in Idle switching from Program to Run

We are experiencing an issue with a HMS-EN2PB-R Ethernet to Profibus DP module
It is connected to a Rockwell L85 ControlLogix PLC. When we download a program to the PLC and it switches from Run to Program and back to Run, the module stops operating properly and LED lights “MS EN” and “MS PB” start flashing. We can correct the issue by power cycling the module.

Is there a bit we can monitor from the module that will change when this condition occurs and, more importantly, is there a bit we can send to the module to reset out of this condition.

Hello,

I believe you will want to use the control word to set the module back to RUN mode. A description on how to use the control word can be found on page 7 of this manual.

Can you please take a look at this?

Best regards,
Nick

Hello,

I saw your additional inquiries, can you not see my replies?

Best regards,
Nick

Hi Nick,

I can see them now. On page 27 it speaks about sending a “Reset” to the module, but its not clear to me as to where to do that. Do you have a screen shot or sample code you can send me that shows this?

Hello,

We do not have any example code, but I do not think it should be necessary to do that reset. You should be able to use the control word to set it back to RUN and I would expect it to work. Does it should any faults in the Studio after you do a download as you said above?

Best regards,
Nick

Hi Nick,

It is not showing any faults, as a mater of fact, the status bit is 1 (operate). It stayed a “1” even when we sent a stop and idle command. After we power cycled the module the status bit reflected the control bit. It only happens when we download a program, not when we switch to program mode. We have a second module connected to this PLC and we don’t have the same problem. Although, the second module doesn’t have the Profibus network connected yet. Any ideas?

Can you tell what firmware is in this unit that is having problems? It is unclear to me if having a PROFIBUS networks would factor into this behavior. It seems like it would not.

Perhaps can you try swapping them out? Another option may be to try updating the firmware.

Best regards,
Nick

It looks like we are running rev 1.002. Would a later version fix this problem? Which version should we load? Swapping them wouldn’t be easy at this time.

Rick

Rick,

That is not the latest version, the latest can be found here.

https://www.anybus.com/docs/librariesprovider7/default-document-library/software/hms-en2pb-r-firmware-v1-2-10.zip?sfvrsn=2f7d62d7_4

The software to perform the update over USB can be found here,

https://www.anybus.com/docs/librariesprovider7/default-document-library/software/hms-anybus-firmware-manager-ii.zip?sfvrsn=a837aad6_60

How long ago did you purchase this unit? Perhaps you could supply me with the serial number?

Best regards,
Nick

Hi Nick,

Serial Numbers:

Working unit: A0381AS9

Not Working: A0381ADD

Will this fix this problem?

Thanks,

Rick

Hello,

I have not run into this issue, so I think it is a good thing to try as the firmware is not up to date. If this does nothing perhaps we can do a teamviewer so we can take a look at the behavior in real time?

Best regards,
Nick

Hi Nick,

The firmware update guide does not work as it is written. It doesn’t speak to an ethernet connection to the module, and it states that I require a Transport Provider program that I can’t find on your site. Can you provide directions and programs that will work?

Thanks,

Rick

Rick,

You must open the web server with the USB port, using that subnet mention in the document. Did this not work?

I thought you could use our firmware update software but I do not think this is the case, it seems like those instructions from the HMS-EN2PB-R firmware download must be used.

Best regards,
Nick

Hi Nick,

I have never addressed a USB port with an IP address. Is there special software I need to do that?

Thanks,

Rick

Rick,

Additional software should not be required for this process. I believe when you plug into the USB port of the module and you go to your device manager in windows the driver that creates this virtual Ethernet connection should auto install. From there you can change the IP to the subnet from those instructions and log into the web server through the USB connection.

Best regards,
Nick

Hi Nick,

I was finally able to go online with the module. I have to load the driver for the serial bus communication every time I plug in. The firmware was the most current version.

What should I look for next?

Thanks,

Rick

Rick,

Did you ever attempt to use the control word to set it back to run?

Best regards,
Nick

Yes, If you go back to our earlier discussion, we were constantly sending the ‘operate” command and the feedback status was telling us it was running (1=operate) when it was not initialized. We tried sending the idle command and, the stop command, then back to operate and could not get it to respond.

Should I contact the factory for this problem?

Thanks,

Rick

Rick,

Before you do that, when you toggle the state when the device is working (after a power cycle) does the control word change the state? I just want to make sure that the control word logic is set up properly when the device is working as expected. I am wondering if potentially you need to toggle the control bit from 1 to 0 and back to 1.

Best regards,
Nick

Yes it does. It works as expected. We tried 1 to 0 to 1 and it didn’t fix the problem. We still had to power cycle. That is why I first asked, can we send a powerup reset command to the module, like the manual indicates.

Rick