Ethernet IP input and output data size AB7306

@Fellstar
Jared,

Does this info help with your set up?

"The amount of data that shall be exchanged, and the use of the control- and status functionality, is specified separately for each application. This means that even though up to 510 bytes of data can be forwarded to an interface, the amount of data that will actually be exchanged on the primary EtherNet/IP network is determined by settings of the secondary CANopen network, with consideration taken to the limits of the interface.

The Anybus X-gateway CANopen allows for the exchange of 512 bytes of data in each direction be-tween the primary network and the X-gateway. The first two bytes (the first word) are allocated for a Control/Status word, decreasing the size of I/O data for CANopen to 510 bytes. The actual amount of data that can be exchanged is highly network dependent, see the section on configuration of the primary EtherNet/IP network in chapter 5. The control and status words of the module are used by the master of the primary EtherNet/IP network to control the Anybus X-gateway CANopen and the secondary CANopen network, and to report the status back from this network. The rest of the I/O data area is available in the CANopen vendor specific object area for real-time data transfer using PDOs (Process Data Objects).Note: The functionality of the Control/Status word differs depending on if the Anybus X-gateway CANopen interface is configured as a slave or as a master on the secondary network."

(from https://www.anybus.com/docs/librariesprovider7/default-document-library/manuals-design-guides/hms-hmsi-168-85.pdf?sfvrsn=a96aaad6_4)

You should be able to read the amounts from the device using the device explorer.

Not particularly, as a Rockwell processor is incapable of setting the input/output sizes to anything over 500 bytes. The input/output sizes are generally variable based on the amount of information being sent. This should be based on my Anybus configuration. Unfortunately the Ethernet/IP side of the module probably has it’s own status/configuration words on top of that.

In the Rockwell setup file it shows that you could, at some point in the past, connect to the module with HyperTerminal and it would spit out the appropriate output / input data sizes based on your configuration.

Does this not work anymore?

Device Explorer?

What’s device explorer?

I had to define the length on the canbus side. I’ve got it communicating now.

Thanks.

Jared C. Goodall

Senior Controls Engineer

OK great. Sorry about the delay in support today, we have some internal meetings going on this week.

I’ve got data back, but it’s not live, and the control word section of the manual leaves much to be desired. Any additional documentation or walkthrough on that?

You’ve read this already?: https://www.anybus.com/docs/librariesprovider7/default-document-library/manuals-design-guides/hms-hmsi-168-85.pdf?sfvrsn=a96aaad6_4#G10.1055283

Precisely the document I was referring to.

The only way I’m currently able to get the module to update the data coming to my PLC is to Toggle each node between PRE_OP and OPERATIONAL. That’s the only time this module updates the data.

Perhaps there’s a bit or value I need to set to make the data cyclic? I feel like I’m missing something.

What are the LEDs doing?

You’ve uploaded the EDS file from HMS to the CANOpen configuration tool?

Also, make sure to read the last page, Appendix D:

“To enable the X-gateway to exchange data with the primary network, the PLC controlling the primary network will have to add, initialize and set the fieldbus interface of the module in operational mode. To start the data exchange with the secondary network, the command “OPERATIONAL” must be sent from the primary network to the secondary network, using the Control Word. If the module is set as slave, this will allow the the module to receive and accept a request from the NMT master of the sec-ondary network to participate in the communication on the secondary network. The module will return an error message if it is not set to OPERATIONAL by the primary network.If the module is set as master, it will control the operational states of all nodes on the secondary network via the control word.”

@kyle_HMS, I figured this out. I had to set the values for input and output size myself, in the Anybus module.

I’m looking for the ability to factory reset the AB7306 module. Something I’ve set on the anybus side has made it stop responding and there’s nothing I can do to fix it.

I don’t see directions in the manual to do this.

Hello Fellstar,

There isn’t a factory reset for the device, the closes option would be to re-download the firmware using Firmware Download TP. Both the program and firmware files along with directions are available on thefiles and documents page.

Deryck

Yeah, I figured all of this out yesterday. Once I figured out I had to use the EThernet/IP firmware for my CanOpen Master Module, which doesn’t appear to be documented ANYWHERE, I was able to flash new firmware.

That didn’t solve the problem.

It may have been coincidental, but the only thing that got me communicating again was changing the unit’s Canbus transmission speed. It was then detectable again on the canbus and I was able to download to it. Revert the network speed to a lower speed and then it worked again.

Hi @Fellstar.

The firmware guide included in the zip file does show what firmware is needed to what device.

Was there a miss match in the baudrate of devices? This would cause issues communicating configuring is since it is configure it over the canbus.

Deryck