Ethernet/IP To Modbus Linking Device

Hello,

This is my first around with Anybus, I watched the Configurations video, but i’m still have issues getting the Gateway device Configurations completed. I’m trying to communicate to an Omron TM Robot which uses Modbus with an Allen Bradley Compact Logix PLC. can anyone help with this?

Hello,

We should be able to help answer any questions you have with the setup. What X-gateway do you have? Can you provide the Article number? What issues are you running into that are preventing you from completing the configuration?

Deryck

I have the HMS-EN2MB-R I not sure what the Article numbers.

I’m having issues with the Modbus side of the configuration, I’m not sure how to setup the server for the Modbus. The manual only walked me through the Studio5000 step by step setup.

Hello @fjhala ,

There are a few sections you can look at in addition to the step by step guide. Chapter 9 has details on the commands with section 9.2 explaining the process of adding commands and Section 9.3.5 covers details about the messages sent and received explaining what each part does. These will need to be updated for the particular messages you are using.

I also have this topic that walks though in more detail setting up the modbus commands. I recommend taking a look at this to help you get started.

Let me know after you have gone though this post if you still have any questions.

Deryck

Hello Deryck,

I’m trying to find the download for the Anybus configuration Manager? The HMS unit I have is the Ethernet/IP To Modbus Linking Device.

Also the manual I have only goes to chapter 8.11

Hello @fjhala,

Here is a link to the user guide i was referencing. Chapter 9 begins on page 53. https://www.anybus.com/docs/librariesprovider7/default-document-library/manuals-design-guides/hms-hmsi-27-354.pdf?sfvrsn=6909b0d6_4

For the Linking device the Configuration manager is built into the Add On Profile in studio 5000. Step 4 of the step by step guide. The guide I provided is for the communicator but the Configuration is nearly the same. The biggest difference is the tags generation that is covered in the linking device user guide.

Deryck

Topic closed due to inactivity.

Hi fjhala, I am trying to do the same thing. Trying to communicate with an Omron TM12 robot with Allen Bradley PLC using HMS EN2MB-R. I could get all the communication working except for getting the robot to read the data from the HMS EN2MB-R. Were you able to achieve this? Please help me out if you do.

Regards
SB

Hello @Sameer_Bhaskarla ,

the En2PB-r is the profibus master so it would be both reading and writing to profibus slave or robot in your case. Do you have write parameters mapped? Are there any errors messages?

Deryck

I must have mistyped. I am using EN2MBR. There are no faults that I can see on hms but the robot is not able to see the inputs from hms. So I wanted to ask the gentleman who worked on omron tm cobot to help me with the setup

Ah sorry that was my fault I was just looking at something else for the profibus version. The concept is going to still be the same for the EN2MB-r (modbus TCP linking device). The Linking device is sending read and write messages to the robot.

Are just the write commands not working? Keep in mind for the write commands to work you would need the configuration to be synchronized with the PLC and the PLC to be writing data to the device. With the program on the PLC and it writing data to the linking device what does the transaction monitor page show for the message status?

Deryck

Hi Deryck,

I am pretty sure it’s not an HMS problem. As I can see the registers turning on and off when I change it from the PLC. The Omron TM robot is able to receive all the system variables that I send to it but it’s not able to read the user defined {9000-9999} registers. So, I need some help to set it up on the Omron robot side of things which Omron technicians are not well versed with. So, I wanted to ask if someone had got it going.

Regards
Sameer

Ah I see, yes if you are not seeing any errors in the transaction monitor I was going to recommend that its something on the robot side, but a modbus error might have given you some indication of the issue.

Deryck