EWon 131 factory reset, doesn’t see network ports

Hello, I have had to factory reset my EWon. Not a big deal, I have done this before. However upon resetting, when a network cable is plugged in, none of the Ethernet ports light up. I have no way of communicating with this on any port. It doesn’t matter if I use the old IP address or the default. No packets being transferred and it shows the network connection is unplugged.

HELP!

Hi Brian,

With no network cables plugged in, what do the device’s status LEDs show? On a freshly reset Cosy that has fully booted, we would expect to see the PWR LED solid green, the USR LED blinking green slowly, three Ethernet ports lit with green (indicating the LAN ports), and one lit with orange (the WAN port). Each Ethernet port also has an activity LED that should be off unless a cable is plugged in and traffic is detected, in which case it will flash.

Did the LEDs behave as expected during the factory reset? For a full second level reset, you’ll hold the reset button while booting until the USR LED goes solid (35 seconds after powering on). Then after releasing, it will carry out the reset, and finally start blinking red slowly indicating tests have completed and it’s okay to reboot the device. Does that match what you saw?

If you connect your computer to one of the LAN ports and open eBuddy, is it able to detect the Ewon?

No, after a factory reset, no ethernet ports light up with a cable plugged in. Each port was tried with various resets.

So there are no LEDs on the Ethernet ports at all? We would expect to see each one to have a constantly lit LED indicating whether it’s assigned as a WAN port or LAN port, in addition to an activity LED that flashes when there is traffic coming through that port.

What are the other status LEDs doing? If the device has booted properly, the PWR LED should be solid green and the USR LED should be flashing slowly, about 1 second on and 1 second off. Is it flashing faster than that?

The lights are flashing as you mentioned. No ethernet lights.

Can you try carrying out a recovery firmware update? You can do this using a USB drive or SD card formatted to FAT32. Visit our manual firmware download page, select your Ewon, then select “With USB stick / SD card as recovery” for your method. Select the latest firmware version, then save the file to your USB stick or SD card with the name ewonfwr.ebu. Power down the Ewon, insert the drive, and then boot. It will take one or two minutes to process, then the USR LED will turn green if it was successful and continue booting.

You can read more about the process of using USB sticks or SD cards to apply firmware updates, backups, and configurations here: AUG-0062-00 - Easy Commissioning via SD Card & USB Drive

The other reset method doesn’t work as you can’t connect to any port and no port lights up. Firmware updates over USB don’t work either. Seems to be dead.

Hi Brian,

I do think that’s likely given the Ethernet ports aren’t responding at all and nothing happened when attempting a recovery update via USB drive. Can you submit a ticket at https://support.hms-networks.com/ including your device’s serial number?

I took over for Brian on this, it ended up being an RMA. Finally was able to load new firmware through eBuddy but the only way a network port would become available was a restart with reset held in. On normal restart, no Ethernet ports are available even after firmware reload.

1 Like

I have the same problem. All LEDS are ON, except the LAN port leds.

• Reset 1, Reset 2 did not work
  • Firmware restore with USB stick did not work
  • Firmware restore with eBuddy did not work, because LAN ports are not available

Any idea or is the device dead?

Hi Rosendahl,

If the Ethernet ports’ LEDs are dead and this hasn’t changed after trying a level 2 reset and recovery update, most likely the device has a hardware fault. If your Ewon is within the warranty period, you can submit a ticket at our support portal for an RMA.