eWON Cannot Connect to Internet - Talk2M Connection Checker Shows No Issues

Hi,

I am trying to setup an eWON Cosy 131 on a new machine install.
I am connected via ethernet cable to the plant network and was given the following from IT:

When running the internet test I am met with the following errors every time.
Even though it shows WAN Connection ok, I am unable to ping the eWON from any other PC on the plant network.
I have restored factory settings and rebooted multiple times.

When connecting the same ethernet cable to any PC with the same static address and DNS information, internet access is available. Furthermore, Talk2M Connection Checker does not give any errors either.

I have been assured that no proxy information is needed by IT here.

I have been at this a while now and honestly I am at a complete loss at this point…

Any ideas?

add a public dns server, like 8.8.8.8

I get the same results with 8.8.8.8

Can you please make sure you are using the latest firmware, version 13.2

1 Like

Then please confirm the current time set in the device is correct. I would recommend using pool.ntp.com for an NTP server.

If you are still getting the same error, Please try to connect to Talk2M anyway, there may be an issue with contacting the specific address it is trying to reach.

If that fails, go to advanced settings in Talk2m wizard, chekc “Force TCP” and try again.

If that fails, please take a backup of the device, using eBuddy, make sure to check “include Support Files” and attach that to you post.

Thank you,
Kyle

Ok, so when using an NTP server the eWON seems to reset itself roughly every minute. I lose connection to the eWON for about a minute and then it comes back. For this reason I am setting the time manually.

Trying to go ahead and connect to Talk2M with and without “Force TCP” gives me the following:

Attached is the back up of my device…MOVED TO STAFF NOTE (54.5 KB)

Hi Justin,

Is it possible to try this using DHCP?

I would also try using another network, (a mobile hotspot, if possible) because it appears something is blocking the communication to the device. Is your IT department using any type of content blocking, whitelisting, “AI” security software, “smart” firewall, etc.?

If you are still having issues connecting, please do a factory reset of the device. I know you have tried this, but there were some non-default settings in the configuration you sent me. Make sure you are holding down the reset button while powering on and hold it for at least 35 seconds until the USR light blinks red and then stays solid red. Then power cycle device again. (see: Ewon Cosy 131 Factory Reset)

Thanks,
Kyle

DHCP is a no go. Maintenance here strictly regulates and tracks all IP addresses for the plant network as static addresses.

I am still trying to get an answer on the content blocking question.
All IT will really say is that content “originating internally is not blocked but anything externally will be blocked.”

Before seeing your last post, I have since already swapped the unit out for a Cosy 141 and am getting the exact same problem.

I don’t know if it makes much sense to keep struggling with this until you can test the devices on another network. It really looks like it’s being blocked by something on that particular network. It’s not getting a response from a DNS server so it can’t find anything online. If you want to try one more thing, get rid of the local DNS server and just use public ones, like 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8, but it looks to me like there is something blocking those devices traffic.

Hi Kyle

Any solution for this issue?
As I also facing the same problem.
I already did what is mention on the chat.
Any other method to try?

Thank you,
Alvin

Hi,

You most likely are going to need your IT department to whitelist some IP addresses because they have some type of security appliance/firewall which does not allow the VPN connection to our servers.

It is important that you whitelist the IP addresses in the common section as well as the ones in the country you are in. Also, if they can wildcard whitelist our domain *.talk2m.com. If not they can whitelist these domains:

Kyle

Hi Kyle

Thank you for the reply.
My issue is due to WAN IP 172.10.1.10 with subnet 255.255.0.0 same net with cosy IP 172.10.0.200.
at first I thought they using subnet 255.255.255.0, so I guess WAN & LAN were in different net.

Thank you,
Alvin

Hi Alvin,

The device will not work if the LAN and WAN subnets collide, so you would have to probably change your LAN subnet in this case as changing the WAN is probably not possible.

The other option would be to install an additional router to the WAN network and create a new subnet that does not conflict and use that network for the Cosy’s WAN connection. Or you could use a cellular modem for internet access.

Kyle

Hi Kyle

My Client changes the router IP to 192.168.1.1 with subnet 255.255.0.0
And the internet wizard passed.

Thank you
Alvin