eWON CD certs expired and now have DNS issue

@anonajnrbufg
Hi Barry,

Trevor wanted me to take over this case regarding the eWONs that had expired certs and are now not connecting due to DNS issues. I do have a couple of questions for you as well.

In the email chain with Trevor you mentioned that you have 23 eWONs around the world that you cannot communicate with. Do you have any that you can communicate with?

Also, it would be very helpful if I could get a full Backup with Support Files for at least one of the devices that are affected. You can do this using eBuddy and right-clicking the eWON name then selecting “Backup/Restore”, checking the “Include Support Files” box, click Next, enter password, Next, and save to the PC and with a return email to me.

If you have someone on-site that I can work with directly (possibly Chad Savoie?) I can give him a call directly if you prefer. Just let me know the number and a good time to call, or he can contact me at 312-893-5636, M - F 0800 - 1700 EST.

Thank you,

Kyle

Hi Kyle,

We only have 23 eWONS total and none of them are working. They all expired in January. I will contact one of the rigs to setup TeamViewer so we can remote in and pull the configuration, this may take a day or so. We do not have any personnel on site at any locations. We also don’t have a device that is available for us to put our hands on.

Hello Kyle,

Almost a year later I have a config file from one of the eWONs in the field.

Please find it attached.

I removed the .tar to bypass our scanner.

Regards,

Chad

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

Ensign_970_eWON_config (95 KB)

Hi Chad,

I went through the settings and I can’t find anything wrong with the device, except it needs to have it’s certificate updated. Have you tried just running the Talk2M Wizard again? If so, what happens?

Kyle

Yes, the certificates will not update.

Yes, I did try the Talk2M Wizard.

I tried updating the firmware in one as well.

If I remember correctly the original help request was because the certificates would not update. All the eWONs failed when the certificates expired last January.

Let me go through my old emails and see if I can find any more info for you.

Please find the attached emails with screenshots of the errors, and a bit of the troubleshooting.

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

image007.jpg

image022.png

image023.png

image024.png

image025.png

image026.png

image005.png

image006.png

image012.png

image007.jpg

image022.png

image023.png

image024.png

image025.png

image026.png

image006.png

image006.png

image014.png

What you need to do is go into eCatcher and go into the eWON’s Properties, then click “Duplicate” button at the top. You will need to use the key from the duplicate device when you run the Wizard.

Thanks. I will give it a try the first change I can get. Should be in the next few days. I will let you know how it goes.

Kyle,

One more question, if you don’t mind. Do I need to update the firmware before follow this procedure?

Although it’s not completely necessary, it’s highly recommended.