eWON Connection Issues

I have a customer that has an older Spectrum Controls Powered by eWON (4005CD?).

It is currently offline in eCatcher (has been offline for a couple of years) and I have been working with someone onsite attempting to troubleshoot the issue. They have configured a Static WAN IP Address and I had them run the Test Connection Wizard and it passed with two green check marks.

However, it still shows up as offline in eCatcher.

Is it possible it lost its Talk2M configuration and I need to have them re-link it to my account?

Current firmware is 6.1s2.

The error log has a couple (33233 t2m-Talk2M: read VPN server address failed) errors.

@just26fp

I would check the date/time in the eWON (system setup, general), and ensure that it’s accurate. It’s possible that it drifted over the years which can affect your talk2M VPN certs which may be the reason why your device is offline.

After confirming the time is correct /adjust it if needed, I would re-run the talk2m wizard and see if you get any errors. If you do, you can post them here.

Lastly, your device is using an outdated FW version and I’d definitely recommend updating it if you have a chance. You can update the FW using the software eBuddy.

The time was off by 10 hours so he adjusted it to the correct time.

He then ran the Talk2M connection wizard and got a VPN connection timeout error.

Can you try going through the Talk2M wizard again and forcing TCP?

If the last step in the talk2m wizard is failing, it means that the eWON is unable to build an outbound openVPN tunnel. This indicates that the network is NOT allowing openVPN as a service.

Thanks for the information.

I will have them try that tomorrow morning and go from there.

1 Like

I believe since the firmware was so old, it didn’t show the option to Force TCP.
I asked him to upgrade the firmware so he is doing so at the moment.

They also ran the Talk2M connection checker and this was their result. So it doesn’t appear that UDP should have any issues.

Connection

They have 3 eWONs of similar vintage at their facility, all are currently offline.
I last connected with one in Feb 2017.
They mentioned that there has been no major network changes.

Are there any specific ports that need to be unblocked?

@just26fp

The talk2m connection checker is a great tool to see if ports are open in general but it will not show if openVPN as a service is allowed on the network. Sometimes networks will allow openVPN with only the TCP protocol even though UDP is allowed for general network traffic.

Duly noted.

I will ask that they try and run the Talk2M wizard again once the firmware has been updated and hopefully they can find the Force to TCP option.

Thanks.

@just26fp

If you guys are struggling with updating the firmware or forcing TCP then just send me a private message with your phone number and we can have a teamviewer session.

I suspect it may be their network firewall if all 3 devices are experiencing the same issue.

Not the resolution I hoped for, but I noticed the eWON just came online.

He mentioned they switched to a different internet provider. I’m going to assume they have redundant ISPs. Not sure why this one works and the other doesn’t.

Thanks for the assistance.

I’m glad you got this working.

I would check in with their IT department and see if anything changed on their end so you know for future reference.

If you have any questions then please don’t hesitate to reach out.