Ewon Cosy 131 and Hotspot

Hello,

Some of our customers don’t have internet connection and it’s keeps being an issue as well as some IT department not waiting to open the ports on their networks for the EWON to work. We want to have a designated Ewon Cosy 131 and a hotspot that we can send as a last resource. I would like to know if there is any devices/providers that you guys recommend or are already using?

I know we could use a cellular Ewon but I’m not sure what the advantage would be if we were to use one over just using a hotspot?
Which provider or plans have the most reliable connection?

Thank you!

Hi Emelyn,

We don’t have any specific recommended hotspot devices or networks. What works best will depend on your location and budget, but in general I think any hotspot device that can broadcast a 2.4GHz network will work fine as long as there is good cell coverage where you’re operating it, including the built in mobile hotspot on a technician’s smartphone. We actually use that as a troubleshooting method fairly frequently to determine if issues are related to the site network rather than the Ewon.

A cellular Ewon is a simpler solution since you’d only need to manage one device, but if you already have a WiFi Cosy or if you want the flexibility to change network providers more easily, or to use a technician’s mobile hotspot, that should work just fine.

Best regards,
Hugh

Thank you for the info, I just want to make sure that the device we purchase is going to work. We had an issue with a customer who purchased a Verizon hotspot and we were not able to connect a Cosy 131 to it. The device was a SKYUS 160 with a 2.4GHz frequency band. Are there requirements for a hotspot to work?

The only requirements for a hotspot to work are for it to be able to use 2.4GHz, IPv4 addresses, and 802.11 b, g, or n.

Do you happen to have any more information about your customer’s problems with their Skyus 160? We did have a ticket submitted regarding trouble with this device, but it looks like the issue in that case was a conflict between the LAN and WAN subnets the Ewon was using, as both the Skyus and the Ewon’s machine network were on the 192.168.1.X subnet.