Ewon Cosy 131 / Bridge mode disabled for WAN

When running through the Cosy 131 installation wizard, hardwired to my internet provider gateway (with bridged mode enabled), the configuration completes with no issues.

Since my Cosy 131 does not have WIFI ability, I’d like to do the same as above, but disable bridged mode on my internet provider gateway. This way I still have WIFI capabilities from the gateway. Unfortunately, disabling bridged mode causes the Cosy 131 installation wizard to fail, during the “Internet” portion of the wizard (failed WAN connection and failed internet connection).

I tried both “DHCP” and “Static IP” addresses for the Cosy 131 WAN port (using the internet provider WAN gateway IP address as my gateway for Cosy). No luck! :frowning:

It seems that using the Cosy 131 on a “non bridged” internet provider gateway will not work. Is this correct? If not, what are the proper steps that I should take to make it work?

Hello @99bobster99,

The Cosy works on any router that provides a route to the internet independently from it being bridged enabled or not. There is something else going on with either your ewon or your router.

Can you please send us a backup with support files of your cosy?

Thanks in advance,
Juliana

Hello Juliana,

Thank you for your response!

On the Cosy 131, I have updated the firmware and completed a factory reset. I then went through the generic wizard, which ended up failing out on the “Internet” portion.

I just noticed that on the router, this is the configuration of the WAN port. I never tried having it set to “Ethernet” instead of the default DOCSIS. Mind you, I did connect a standard Windows laptop to the same port and it immediately picked up an internet connection. Could this be the issue?

MOVED TO STAFF NOTE

Does the above screenshot tell you anything? If not, I will need to obtain the Cosy unit again, since it was loaned to me by a colleague. I can get you the error log files from the Cosy early next week.

Many thanks Juliana!
Walter

Hello @99bobster99,

Apparently the DOCSIS is a data over cable standard, which is used for internet and TV services. I am not sure if the cosy can communicate through DOCSIS. Can you try changing the WAN network to Ethernet WAN?

Nevertheless, I’ll be able to find out more info once I have the cosy’s backup with support files.

Thanks in advance,
Juliana

Hello Juliana,

Did you have a chance to review the Cosy backup and support files I emailed to you?

Please let me know.

Thank you,
99bobster99

Hello Juliana,

Just in case, I’ve attached the Cosy backup and support ZIP file again.

Thank you,
99bobster99

@99bobster99,

I must’ve missed the email you sent. I just received your file here in the portal.
Let me take a look.
Also, where you able to try connecting to your router again changing the WAN network to Ethernet WAN?

Thanks,
Juliana

Hi Juliana,

Great, thank you for checking the files!

I tried changing the WAN parameter from DOCSIS to Ethernet, but this cause my router to not work at all (no internet access). I believe this setting, as you mentioned is required to be set as DOCSIS due to the router being a cable modem.

Thank you Juliana!

Hi @99bobster99,

From your logs, I see that you are having LAN and WAN IP conflicts meaning that your internet router IP and the cosy’s LAN IP are in the same subnet. That will prevent your cosy from passing the WAN wizard. Also, I see that the cosy is not receiving an IP from DHCP, which could be due to the IP conflicts that the device is experiencing as well.

What you can do is change the LAN IP of your cosy (please make sure the new IP is on a different network from your internet router):

• Go to your device web interface Setup → System → Communication → Eth1LAN (where you can change the IP address), click on Update, and then click on reboot.

Try connecting to your internet router and running the internet wizard again.

Let me know how it goes!

Best,
Juliana

Hi Juliana,

Great, thank you for the feedback!

I’ll test what you suggested and get back to you ASAP!

Many thanks,
99bobster99

Hi Juliana,

Case closed, the information you provided (change the LAN IP to something other than the default, which was the same as my internet provider router) worked perfectly.

I very much appreciate the quick and efficient assistance you have given me!

Best Regards,
99bobster99

1 Like

Hi @99bobster99,

You are very welcome! I’m glad I could help.

Best Regards,
Juliana

Hi Juliana,

I have an abnormal request from our remote customer on this same Cosy.

They would like to access a device on the Cosy LAN, by it’s IP address, from one of their PLC’s (i.e. their PLC obviously won’t be able to run the ecatcher software).

Have you run into this before? Might there be a way to accomplish this through bridging the PLC through a PC that is connected to the EWON via ecatcher?

Best Regards,
99bobster99

Hi @99bobster99,

Assuming your cosy is on the plant network, there is a way of accomplishing this by using NAT 1:1. You would be able to map the LAN IP of the device on the LAN side of the cosy to your WAN (the plant network), so your PLC on the cosy can be discoverable by your PLC on the plant side.

Here you can find instructions on how to enable NAT 1:1: kb-0289-00-en-connect-to-devices-on-ewon-lan-from-computer-on-remote-site.pdf (windows.net)

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,
Juliana

Hi Juliana,

Unfortunately, the device on the Cosy and the PLC are not on the same plant network.

The scenario would look like this;

=========================================
Hardware located at customer #1 site (i.e. New York)

Cosy 131
Device1 (IP 192.168.4.20), attached to Cosy 131

=========================================
Hardware located at customer #2 site (i.e. California)

PC connected to Cosy 131 via eCatcher
AB PLC

The AB PLC located at customer site #2, would need to access “Device1” located at customer site #1.

This needs to be done for testing purposes. Would this be possible by somehow bridging the AB PLC into the PC?

Best Regards,
99bobster99

Hi @99bobster99,

I’m not sure if there’s a way of making this happen, but I will check with my associates and get back to you soon.

Thanks,
Juliana

@99bobster99,

Can you please verify a few things first:

1. You only have one cosy 131? (and that’s located on site #1)
  2. Site 2: has a PC, where the PC is connected to the cosy through VPN (then you’ll have access to any device on the LAN of your cosy 131)
  3. Site 2: also has an AB PLC, but the PLC is not connected to the same network as the PC above?

If that’s the setup, then I don’t know how to make it work. However, if you can get your PC and the AB PLC on the same network, then you can still use the NAT1:1, but instead of mapping to your WAN, you can map it to the VPN (since your pc is connected to the cosy through eCatcher).

Thanks,
Juliana

Hi Juliana,

Please see me answers to your questions below;

1. Correct!
  2. Correct!
  3. In this case, the PLC is connected to the same network as the PC.

That is great news, I feel a glimmer of hope! :slight_smile:

Would you be able to direct me to a step-by-step procedure on how I can map the PLC to the VPN? I’d like to send these details to Site #2, so that they can implement your suggestion. They are not very network savvy, simple terms would be best. :slight_smile:

Thank you very much Juliana!
99bobster99

Hi @99bobster99,

The instructions for the NAT 1:1 are the same as I gave before, and you can find the guide here, and the only thing that changes is the Mapping NAT 1:1 on WAN to Mapping NAT 1:1 on VPN (use he drop down menu shown below).

Remember that you are setting this on your cosy 131 on site#1, there’s nothing you need to do on site #2.

Thanks,
Juliana

Hi Juliana,

Excellent, thank you for the excellent guidance!

I will do some testing this week and I’ll let you know how it goes.

Best Regards,
99bobster99