EWON Cosy 131 Dropping VPN comms in China

I have a working EWON Cosy 131 which had been communicating for 10-12 hours with the customer’s PLC network in China. The EWON reported VPN - Other Error on Wednesday night in U.S/Thursday morning in China, and rebooting the EWON several times without VPN recovery on the device to re-establish PLC connectivity. I understand that HMS can modify a EWON device backup file with the support files, and move the device to a different VPN EWON server in China. I have the backup file of this EWON Cosy device connecting to a factory in China. I need to have this conversion done ASAP.
How long will it take to do this work and when can I receive the modified file to restore to the EWON and test?

Hello,

I have responded to you in our ticketing system. Please attach the backup with support files so we may review the unit. I cannot guarantee immediate resolution, as the issue could be more than just a server change.

Thank you…I am going to reply to your email with the backup file

Kevin,

Here is the EWON device backup with the support files. Thank you very much…

MOVED TO STAFF NOTE (169 KB)

Hello,

The biggest issue i see on this unit is that the device is still on 13.0 firmware. I would update the device firmware to our latest and check the to seee if the connection is maintained.

The device is already set to a server located out of China. The VPN’s you are using is as follows:

VPNSrv1: 47.100.28.69
VPNSrv2: device.vpn31.talk2m.com

https://www.ewon.biz/technical-support/pages/talk2m/talk2m-status/talk2m-vpn-servers

Kevin,

Thank you very much for reviewing the file. So, will this config file import without issues after the EWON firmware is updated? What versions of eBuddy and eCatcher will have to be installed if the EWON firmware is updated?

Are you saying that switching Chinese servers is not recommended at this time?

Thank you very much…

The Chinese servers are the closes one for that device. As for the config you posted, you will not be able to import it because it is the support type of back up. That config cannot be restored. The latest versions of ebuddy will have the necassary firmware files that you will need to update it.

Kevin,

If you don’t mind, please give me a call on my office phone below.

Hello,

I do not see a phone number posted. See our contact information below:

There is also the option to call one of our skilled support technicians by phone using the phone number below:
+1 (312) 598 2803
Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM-5:00 PM Eastern Time

No problem…I see what you are saying (sort of). So, if I just do a backup without support files, then upgrade the firmware to 14.5 going through the latest application version of eBuddy, will I be able to restore that backup file? Or, do I have to perform the entire configuration of EWON through the setup Wizards?

Thank you very much…

Hello,

You should just be able to update the firmware without losing the configuration. However, you can restore the configure from a backup.

Kevin,

Thank you very much…I will make another backup EWON .tar file without the support files and store on the network for future restores. I am glad that updating firmware does not include a total deletion of the EWON Cosy device configuration. Why would the support files not work in a device restore process?

The worst-case scenario after the firmware upgrade would be that I have to restore this newly created backup file (minus support files).

Thank you very much…

The support files contain hardware information that will cause issues if it gets uploaded to a different device. Mismatch of serial numbers, MAC addresses, and so on. The support files contain the whole profile of the device, the regular backup contains configuration only.

Kevin,

I had EWON VPN connections restored this past Monday evening after firmware update to version 14.0, restored my config file, ran some Internet & talk2M tests, and was able to go remotely online with my PLC. I had solid PLC and HMI communications Tuesday and Wednesday. Yesterday and this morning, I connected to the EWON but was NOT able to connect to the PLCs and HMIs for our manufacturing customer in China. The EWON Cosy 131 shows all is good with the device (gateway, internet, VPN, all are OK/good status).

However, despite the EWON device showing me the list of PLCs, HMIs, and other EtherNet/IP devices after connection is made on eCatcher, we cannot ping them once we successfully connect to the EWON through eCatcher. The PLC application software is also not displaying any Ethernet/IP automation devices any more to choose or go online directly.

I was wondering if you can double check the connection status for EWON S/N 1726-0128-22 to the Chinese VPN server and if any settings need to be updated on this EWON device.

Thank you very much…

hello,

I can check the status of the connection for Talk2m.

As of the PLC’s, can someone on site ping the plcs?

Can you provide me a temp user for the ecatcher account, so that i may run some tests?

Hi Kevin…

I apologize for not responding sooner…I had a late lunch and about to leave for the weekend in 40-50 minutes. Yes…I am available now to troubleshoot and ping PLC and HMI IP addresses. Please call me at the phone number in my signature below…

Kevin,

You can use my account to log into the Cosy if you have Teamviewer or LogMeIn or some other remote PC application.

We do have teamviewer, but we would need someone on site to verify that the PLC’s are communicating on the LAN side. This will eliminate it being an onsite issue.

The device is still connected to the server in China.

Kevin,

I was able to connect with the PLCs using the EWON. I was able to ping the IP addresses about 10 minutes ago for the first time all day. Did you or anyone else do something on the EWON? If not, I am starting to wonder if China is blocking VPN/LAN network access at times. The comms started to magically work again. I was able to go online with my customer’s PLC using Allen Bradley RS Logix 5000 and RSLinx.

Please keep the ticket open until the early part of next week. I am getting to disconnect from the EWON for the weekend, and I want to see if I can reconnect on Monday morning.

I am getting ready to leave now…it’s been one long week for me.

Thank you very much for your quick response….have a great weekend.

No we did not.

China is known to block communication from time to time. Unfortunately, we try the best to compensate for it. However, it is a goverment wide firewall.

I will continue to monitor this communication.