eWON Cosy 131 - Random Disconnections

Has eWON Support run into the below situation?

Customer reporting:
I am experiencing some issues with an eWON Cosy 131 (purchased through INS) at a remote site. I seem to be experiencing random disconnections where eCatcher indicates the eWON is still online but I cannot ping anything on the remote network, including the eWON itself. To reconnect, I have to disconnect from the eWON, log out, and restart eCatcher.

I have noticed that it works fine for most use cases, but when I am running RSLinx Classic (rev. 3.90.00 CPR 9 SR 9) this is happening somewhat frequently. Is there any known conflict with this version? I am running Windows 10 Pro and an ethernet/IP driver in RSLinx.

Hi,

Could you share a backup of the device (created using eBuddy and including Support Files) so that we can determine if the Cosy itself is going offline or if this is related to the connection?

Thank you,

Kyle

I will request this.

How do I send the file to you?

You can attach it to a post on this message board and only I will be able to access it.

MOVED TO STAFF NOTE (332 KB)

Attached.

I noticed the device is disconnecting from the internet every 2 hours because the max outgoing call duration for PPP is set to 120 minutes. You can change that in the Internet settings. If that doesn’t help, or the disconnections are more frequent, try updating the firmware to 13.2 and let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Kyle

The customer is going to try the firmware update.

Hi Stephen,

Let me know how that goes and remember that they have it set to disconnect and reconnect every 2 hours, so that is normal. It can be changed in Settings.

Kyle

Sorry for the delay. I haven’t had the chance to update the firmware yet, but I did note that I was disconnected while trying to go online with a PLC in RSLogix 5000 a little before 10:30 (Eastern) am on Monday (12/10). I had only just connected using eCatcher, so it definitely wasn’t the 2-hour timeout. RSLogix gave me an error that it failed to connect. After that, I tried pinging both the PLC and the eWON and was not able to get any response from either device. eCatcher still reported that I was online, despite me not being able to talk to the eWON. I disconnected and reconnected and then I was able to connect and ping the devices.

I’ve attached the log file. Hopefully there is something in the log near the time I specified that’s helpful.
MOVED TO STAFF NOTE (329.5 KB)

Hi,

Looking at the logs the WAN connection has been very consistent for the last two weeks, just restarting every 120 minutes, and that takes almost a minute to complete. When you connect has no impact on the time that it restarts. The connection is always on and restarts every 2 hours. Since it takes about a minute, it’s at a different time every day, for example, yesterday it restarted at 1:28, 3:29, 5:29, 7:30, 9:30, 11:31, 13:32, etc. (UTC time). So you can log in and then get disconnected a few minutes later if it has been online for almost 2 hours. I can see that on the 10th someone logged in at 6:12 and it restarted at 6:24, they logged in at 6:25 then out at 6:29 and back in a few seconds later. The WAN restarted connection at 8:25 and 10:25. It looks like there were some connection issues last night though.

I would still recommend updating the firmware and changing the Max outgoing call setting and I think it will run better for you.

Kyle

Very good perspective Kyle - that makes sense. Could be a random time the user is experiencing these based on when they login due to the 120 min timer.

Kyle - this is making sense to the customer now - I am not sure the randomness of it was nailed down until you spelled out the specific times. I really appreciate your help and expertise.

Great - glad I could help! Let me know if you have any questions about changing the settings.

Kyle

Topic closed due to inactivity.